PM 25MV or 727V

advmaker

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

Just getting started in this exciting world of machining. I have always been a tool junkie (home depot is my second home) and been tinkering with wood for over a decade and only since last year digging into metal with welding machines and all. Recently bought a PM 1127VF-LB lathe and enjoying it a lot. I am considering a mill and like the specs of 25mv a lot but wondering about 727v as well. I hear it is louder. Also it is 200lb heavier than 25mv, so what I want to understand is what the 727v will do easily that 25mv will not be able to. Is the vertical height an issue when a vise and drill chuck is added?

Can either mill replace a regular drill press (I have a HF DP) to get some shop space back?

Look at the PM 728 also. It is not on the PM website but there is a thread here.
Robert

I spent nearly 30 years in various Tool Rooms using large and small machines. I purchased one of Matt's PM25 and have not been disappointed with it.

Thanks, what do you typically mill?
I may want to use bigger dia grinding cutters. Also how to do chamfers -- will I miss much without head tilt feature?

I spent nearly 30 years in various Tool Rooms using large and small machines. I purchased one of Matt's PM25 and have not been disappointed with it.

Today I spot drilled, tap drilled and tapped 16 assemblies of 3/8" diameter aluminum tubes with plugs in one end. The largest pieces I've worked were 18" long 1/8" aluminum templates, about 3/4" wide. The smallest, some plastic hinges, 3/16 by 3/16 by 1/2.
I always felt the head tilting was a flaw, It was always easier to tip the work, as opposed to getting the head exactly at the right angle, then getting it back square. I do acknowledge that there are some cases where tilting the head is needed.

A person who knows the limitations of a small bench mill will not be disappointed with a small bench mill like a PM 25/30 or 727 type. Those who want to use 1/2", 5/8", or 3/4" cutters (I've heard of/seen it tried) on a smaller (less than a 9x40) may be in for a let down.

Something to consider: belt driven heads typically have wider/higher spindle speed ranges. Which is useful when using smaller cutters. Larger cutters need slower speeds which is where the geared head types have the advantage. Just my $0.02 :)

I'd suggest the PM30V :) That's what I was saving up for before I got my mini-knee mill.

Back