PM-30 Mods?

Kipling79

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I have been scanning the internet for I for information on the PM30 and potential modifications (how I found your awesome forum). I haven't found much, but have found lots of information on other PM machines (choosing/installing x-axis power feed, etc.. )

I'm curious as to why I'm not seeing much on the PM-30. I'm hoping that this machine is so similar to another PM machine, that those modifications cover the 30 as well? Or will I be truly learning as I go?

Thanks is for any input.

What kind of "mods" are you looking for?

Search for BF-30, that is the base design. The Grizzly 0704 is based off a BF-20 & is a different machine but there are a lot more resources for the BF-20 & some mods are similar.

This is great information! Some of the comments I have been reading suggested that there were common lineages... but I wasn't sure which models they spoke of.

"Mods" might be the wrong word. I am first looking for guidance on how to choose/install bolt-on accessories such as x-axis power feed, DRO, etc... then eventually learn to make my own accessories such as z-axis power feed and such.

One of my favorite mods I did to my PM932 was to add a spindle light using a car headlight LED halo ring. I basically copied Darkzero's mod in this thread:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/my-pm45m-pdf.9885/page-4

I don't know if the PM30 has the same quill size or not, but when searching for the ring, I found that they come in lots of different sizes, so I bet you could find one that fits your machine. The light really makes using the machine easier, and it is a very inexpensive mod.

The reason you may not be finding as much for the PM-30 compared to many of the other machines may have to do with the length of time it has been available compared to the PM-25 or others. As far as I know, the PM-30 has only been available for a few years, but the PM-25 has been around considerably longer.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't think it is similar enough to the other machines that anything will be compatible. It is much larger than a PM-25 and a very different design from their larger mills. Your best bet will be looking at similar machines imported under different names.

There are a few threads on here on the PM-30, but you are right, there is not a lot of information out there on the PM-30. That's one of the reasons I've started posting a few mods I have done on mine. Here's a couple of links:

I have a few more mods to post once I get some more spare time.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for posting these. I got a PM-30MV earlier this year and have noticed quite a few users on HM have them but not much information posted. I got mine for a CNC conversion but it has been stalled because I'm unsure what motors I should get. I want to use servos but can't afford to spend over $300 / axis.

Last edited:
Ah well isn’t it obvious? Those things are so great right out of the box that nobody ever feels the need to make any changes.

Back