PM-30 Z-axis power feed?

I'm about halfway through a z axis power feed for my PM-30 using a wiper motor. I originally purchased a powerfeed from a source online and it lasted 3 days. The internal plastic gear stripped out despite having my gib backed all the way out (not an ideal situation for any machining equipment). In any case, it was clear to me based on the components that it would never be reliable long term. Thus, I spent the last couple days putting ideas to metal and trying to use whatever I had on hand and could find locally. I'm not sure it's the best way to do it and when I finally get the motor dis-engage done, it will require two hands to disengage, but the rest is pretty simple .

I already had the power feed lever because it was intended to be fwd/rev for my old Craftsman 6" Lathe, but I ended up selling it when an Atlas 10" dropped in my lap. The wiper motor was also on hand for an intended lead screw mod for the same lathe. the 24v PSU was from an old MPCNC project I had.

In any case, here are some pics. It's not done, I intend to add a spring/lever actuated motor disengage, variable speed potentiometer and fast move button (debating this for a number of reasons, but might just add it because I can) , but the basics are in the pics.

I will also add, that the mounting plate is probably a bit large, but I'm not sure how I'm going to do the disengage mechanism yet, although have some ideas and might need some of the extra length. Also, it's far taller than it probably needs to be, but the coupler with the rubber interface makes everything operate extremely smooth, so I want to leave it.

Kind of late to the show, but, how did you secure the Lower Half of the Lovejoy Coupling to the top end of the Z Elevation Lead Screw? Thank you

Back