PM-30mv - Acorn, Arizona99 CNC kit, Clearpath Servo build

Paul Bird

Registered
Registered
Thought I would start a build thread for sharing information and for suggestions from this community. I ordered a PM-30mv on January 29th and it shipped on February 7. It will be broken down, cleaned and assembled from the get go with a CNC kit. Eventually I will be putting a power drawbar on this mill along with some form of automatic tool changer.

CNC Conversion Kit:
Arizona99 (David Clements)

Controller:
Centroid Acorn w/wireless pendant

Servos:
Clearpath 3432ELS for Z
Clearpath 3421ELS for X&Y

Power Supplies:
Clearpath IPC-5 for Z
Clearpath IPC-5 shared for X&Y

Tooling:
Tormach Tooling System

Coolant:
Fogbuster - Single 1/2 Gallon kit with solenoid

Touch Sensor:
??? Leaning toward a Hallmark ITTP

Pictures of Electronics and mill unboxing to follow.

Paul Bird

I'm happy to see that you got your mill and hit the ground running. I was wondering if you tried the drawbar before before tearing it down? I have read in another thread about some users having trouble with the drawbar being really tight in the spindle. I thought it was just an isolated incident but when I tried to mount the TTS collet I couldn't get the drawbar to go all the way down and screw into the collet. I fooled around with it and found that the shoulder below the head of the drawbar was binding with the spindle cap. If I remove the spindle cap it works fine. The drawbar fits into the spindle cap fine if it is removed from the mill. So it seems that something is off center.

Do you have an ETA on the CNC kit?

Mark

I have fit the Tormach R8 to TTS adapter. The only issue I had was the pin to indicate the R8 collet was too long. I used a large screwdriver to push the pin in slightly which allowed the tts adapter to fit. I haven't checked the drawbar but I will tonight.

No kit yet from Arizona99.

Thanks Paul. It's not a big deal since the drawbar and possibly the spindle cap will be replace with the PDB install. But I may contact PM support to see what they say. I look forward to seeing your conversion progress.

I am in the middle of a CNC conversion with Clearpath servos but using a Masso controller. I cant wait to see your progress...

I thought about using Tormach TTS tool holders but now I have decided to use ER32 Collet holders with a 3/4" R8 collet...

I'm going to cut the 6" shank down to about 3"....

Got an email back from Dave (Arizona99) and he is close. He said the parts should be done next week.

Paul

Back