PM-30mv - Acorn, Arizona99 CNC kit, Clearpath Servo build

I know someone else who was getting parts from the same guy (for the PM-940 though) and it was "almost done, should be next week" for like 8 months...

Paul's PM-30 kit was delivered a few days ago. It is a new kit and there has been a back order for the units. It is new so getting them out takes more time than a kit like the PM-25 that I have been making for years.

A example of a little thing is the couplers. I had been using 30mm couplers and most of the steppers had 1/2" or 3/8" shafts 25mm long. Well now everyone want the closed loop or servos that have longer 14mm shafts. The would not work without cutting the shafts with the 30mm couplers.

I ordered 35mm couplers but they have a really long wait time. So I re did all the drive size mounts to take 40mm couplers which are easier to get.

Re doing all the parts to get that fixed does take time.

The kit is now shipping and I can do 35mm or 40mm couplers and Nema 23 or 34 for the X and Y and all the couplers are in hand.

Just a example of one little thing that makes shipping a kit not so easy.

The PM940 is much the same story. It is now regularly shipping. 8 months ago would have been the first or second kit. I made each part one at a time and a few changes needed to be made. Now I'm mostly ramped up for both the kits.

Thanks
Dave AKA arizonavideo99

Paul's PM-30 kit was delivered a few days ago. It is a new kit and there has been a back order for the units. It is new so getting them out takes more time than a kit like the PM-25 that I have been making for years.

A example of a little thing is the couplers. I had been using 30mm couplers and most of the steppers had 1/2" or 3/8" shafts 25mm long. Well now everyone want the closed loop or servos that have longer 14mm shafts. The would not work without cutting the shafts with the 30mm couplers.

I ordered 35mm couplers but they have a really long wait time. So I re did all the drive size mounts to take 40mm couplers which are easier to get.

Re doing all the parts to get that fixed does take time.

The kit is now shipping and I can do 35mm or 40mm couplers and Nema 23 or 34 for the X and Y and all the couplers are in hand.

Just a example of one little thing that makes shipping a kit not so easy.

The PM940 is much the same story. It is now regularly shipping. 8 months ago would have been the first or second kit. I made each part one at a time and a few changes needed to be made. Now I'm mostly ramped up for both the kits.

Thanks
Dave AKA arizonavideo99
Then why don't you tell people that? You told him next week, then he gets his kit 2 months later? Next week and 8 weeks are very different.

Paul, I'm happy to see that you received your conversion kit. How does it look? Please post some pictures if you can.

I got my parts a couple weeks ago. They look great but the X ballscrew setup didn't fit. My later sample from PM had a thicker top table than Dave's which caused the problem. I have sent those parts back and Dave and I will be working to get it right. Stay tuned.

I ordered a kit from Dave on the 14th and he had me measure the table thickness. Mine is the thinner one the he originally made the kit for. It's strange the we got our mills at the same time but have different tables. Mine has a date stamp of 7/2018. What is your date?

Got the new X axis parts from Dave last week and they fit great. As of yesterday I have a fully functioning cnc mill. I am very pleased with my purchase decision on the mill, Dave's parts, and Clearpath Servos. They are whisper quiet.

Now I have to get everything dialed in - squaring up the z axis and getting everything setup in the Acorn. I'll post some pictures when I get everything cleaned up.

BTW, the date code for my PM30 is 10/2018.

Then why don't you tell people that? You told him next week, then he gets his kit 2 months later? Next week and 8 weeks are very different.
If you have ever developed a product like he is doing, little things come up that when you first look at it seems trivial, but then once into the details, like extra long lead times for particular couplings, causes you to backup the design so that those type of issues don’t derail you in the future. Another thing that derails designs is the opposite, component parts that were once readily available have been discontinued and now you are forced into another redesign.

If he was in control of 100% of the component designs, then no issue, but then also his costs and hence selling price would be a lot more. Having been in his shoes in engineering I understand the problem. If people don’t like the answers they can always purchase elsewhere.....assuming there is an elsewhere!

If you have ever developed a product like he is doing, little things come up that when you first look at it seems trivial, but then once into the details, like extra long lead times for particular couplings, causes you to backup the design so that those type of issues don’t derail you in the future. Another thing that derails designs is the opposite, component parts that were once readily available have been discontinued and now you are forced into another redesign.

If he was in control of 100% of the component designs, then no issue, but then also his costs and hence selling price would be a lot more. Having been in his shoes in engineering I understand the problem. If people don’t like the answers they can always purchase elsewhere.....assuming there is an elsewhere!
I don't disagree with anything you have said, and you haven't actually disagreed with what I said either.

Sure there can be issues like you describe, but the key is open communication with people about those issues so they aren't left in the dark. Especially when those people have already paid for the product. It is one thing to say "The supplier for the couplers I am using has been unable to source them and has backordered them for 3 weeks" and "Your kit will be done next week." and then not saying anything until a month later when asked "Hey where is my kit?".

If you look back toward the beginning of the thread, the OP says "I got an email and the parts should be done next week." and over a month later, he is still waiting.

I have been trying to acquire a PM30-MV CNC Kit from "Dave AKA arizonavideo99", for more than 6 weeks now.
We had email communication, initially, discussing mount options for X/Y and Z.
As a result of our email communication, I have purchased/received DMM AC Servos, and DMM's DYN2 drives for my PM30-MV CNC conversion.
Also, have a Centroid Acorn controller. Liking this setup so far!!! :)

However, Dave has gone "silent" on me these last few weeks! Don't know why, but I am definitely feeling a little frustration these days!!! :(

"Dave AKA arizonavideo99", best to maintain communication with your customers, not leave them in the "dark" for weeks on end.

Waiting for a response to my many recent email queries, including an "earnest money" payment via PayPal, for weeks now ... :(

Back