PM-30mv - Acorn, Arizona99 CNC kit, Clearpath Servo build

Decided to move on from "Dave AKA arizonavideo99". Ordered CNC kit today, from Pro Cut CNC...

pic, obviously, is not the actual kit for PM30-MV. I have raised this to their attention! :)

More, after I receive this kit.

Decided to move on from "Dave AKA arizonavideo99". Ordered CNC kit today, from Pro Cut CNC...

pic, obviously, is not the actual kit for PM30-MV. I have raised this to their attention! :)

hopefully it works out....do a search on this site for Procut......

Been using my mill now for a couple months so I thought I would update. I used my mill for a couple weeks with little issue other than the beginning machinist. All was well until the spindle motor randomly stopped. First time it did this I had no idea what had happened other than a broken 1/4" carbide end mill. I proceeded to use the mill and about 10 hours of milling later, it did it again. Fortunately I was taking a skim cut and caught it. Now I was frustrated. I checked everything - even to the point of rewiring, emi chokes, etc. and the problem didn't resolve but got worse. Now the spindle wouldn't run 2 minutes without cutting out.

Since I had removed the drive unit from the mill, rewired everything and placed it in my electronics cabinet I was sort of stuck. I called Precision Mathews and ordered another motor and drive unit ($300 total with shipping - from China). They said it would take 3 to 4 weeks. Uhg. I simply could not wait that long so I started looking for an alternate option.

Long story short, I ended up ordering a Marathon inverter duty 2hp motor and Hitachi vfd. I received them a couple weeks ago and made a pulley, 3d printed motor stands, and wired it all up. Not sure if my original motor/drive setup was 100% (even though it seemed to run great until it didn't) or not but this new motor is night and day from the original. It is also three times the size and weight so I guess it should be. I still get the feeling that Chinese horses are a good bit smaller than American ones.

I am currently running it with a 1:.8 and 1:1.6 ratio as I reproduced the large end of the stock motor pulley for top and bottom. In hindsight, I should have gone with the same diameter of the large pulley on the spindle for a 1:1 and 2:1 ratio. This will probably get fixed when I do a spindle bearing upgrade.

The big Clearpath on the Z axis has no problem with the increased weight of the Marathon motor but I may do struts or a counterweight in the future just because. Anyway here are some before and after shots.

If anyone needs a new/never installed PM30 motor and drive, let me know.

20190529_230207.jpg
20190529_230428.jpg
20190718_202137.jpg
20190724_002551.jpg

Been using my mill now for a couple months so I thought I would update. I used my mill for a couple weeks with little issue other than the beginning machinist. All was well until the spindle motor randomly stopped. First time it did this I had no idea what had happened other than a broken 1/4" carbide end mill. I proceeded to use the mill and about 10 hours of milling later, it did it again. Fortunately I was taking a skim cut and caught it. Now I was frustrated. I checked everything - even to the point of rewiring, emi chokes, etc. and the problem didn't resolve but got worse. Now the spindle wouldn't run 2 minutes without cutting out.

Since I had removed the drive unit from the mill, rewired everything and placed it in my electronics cabinet I was sort of stuck. I called Precision Mathews and ordered another motor and drive unit ($300 total with shipping - from China). They said it would take 3 to 4 weeks. Uhg. I simply could not wait that long so I started looking for an alternate option.

Long story short, I ended up ordering a Marathon inverter duty 2hp motor and Hitachi vfd. I received them a couple weeks ago and made a pulley, 3d printed motor stands, and wired it all up. Not sure if my original motor/drive setup was 100% (even though it seemed to run great until it didn't) or not but this new motor is night and day from the original. It is also three times the size and weight so I guess it should be. I still get the feeling that Chinese horses are a good bit smaller than American ones.

I am currently running it with a 1:.8 and 1:1.6 ratio as I reproduced the large end of the stock motor pulley for top and bottom. In hindsight, I should have gone with the same diameter of the large pulley on the spindle for a 1:1 and 2:1 ratio. This will probably get fixed when I do a spindle bearing upgrade.

The big Clearpath on the Z axis has no problem with the increased weight of the Marathon motor but I may do struts or a counterweight in the future just because. Anyway here are some before and after shots.

If anyone needs a new/never installed PM30 motor and drive, let me know.

View attachment 300721View attachment 300724View attachment 300722View attachment 300723

Why do you have 2 IPC-5 power supplies?

One IPC-5 has more than enough power to run 4 servos all you need is a $20 board with 24v DC running to it....

This is my Clearpath project.... I'm running 3 SDSK-3432S-RLN on 1 IPC-5

Your wiring job looks awesome compared to mine..... lol
20180921_010905.jpg

20190817_132621.jpg

Last edited:

Just so you guys know I did not go dark with anyone's money. To keep track of orders, if it is going to be over a week or so, I will invoice you for $10. That way I don't hold your money.

I do my emails every day, sometimes twice. If I have lots of work I may skip a day or two. Emails can take a long time and sometimes I need to just make parts.

I was talking to Mitch and he wanted a kit fairly fast. Without me sending an invoice he just sent me $100 with a note saying" I hope that this gets your attention"

I generally like to have all the info on the invoice so I can make the correct mounting. The PM-30 has a lot of options being able to run the DMM 60mm servos, Nema 23, Nema 34 and the 86M servo. At the same time Mich sent the deposit, PM made a change to the PM-940 castings and the PM-30 with the thicker table. I had a bunch of stuff that no longer fit. I would have preferred to not take any PM-30 orders until I had the correct parts rolling out again.

For the last month or so I had to replace some of the Y mounts on the 940. They changed to a different top plate and I had 4 PM-30 kits out that needed to have the X axes replaced. I tried to get out a few new kits and still make replacement parts for the parts that no longer fit. I also started to re model a part of my house....

I have replaced all the past items and made a few new runs of the new correct fitting parts. I have also added the 60mm DMM 640 400 watt servo mounts to the kit for people who might want that drive setup.

I now have 4 PM-30 kits mostly ready to go out and no defects that need to be corrected. Everyone is happy hopefully.

Mitch , you never asked for a refund of the money you sent. You say you purchased a kit from ProCut so I guess you no longer want a kit so I refunded your payment.

Sorry I could not deliver in the time frame you wanted.

Thanks
Dave /Arizonavideo

Running a small business in a hobby market is tough, especially when you're dealing with stuff beyond your control like manufacturers changing their designs.

The OP's machine looks great :encourage:

John

I went with two power supplies because it wasn't much more expensive than doing what you did and I have twice the current headroom. Might be important, might not, but I'd rather over do it one time. Also, a fourth axis is in my future and possibly a fifth.

Just to be clear, I am happy with the quality of kit I got from Dave. I would do it again.

Now to figure out a power drawbar that will fit in the reduced space left by the big motor. The 100mm air cylinder stack I bought won't fit. I think the 80mm might but I'm not crazy about buying a 175psi compressor just for that. Reluctantly leaning toward an air over hydraulic setup I saw on YouTube. Thoughts are welcome.

Hi All,
Wanted to provide update on my PM30 CNC build...

- Received the ProCutCNC kit on/about the time as estimated by Mfgr. Nema 34 mounts on all axes.
- Went with DMM 86N servos and DYN2 servo drives
o Due to servo shaft length, I had to "space" the servos off the mounts a little bit, using "off-the-shelf" round aluminum spacers and shoulder screws from McMaster-Carr
- 1000W, 48V supply to power the servo drives
- Centroid Acorn CNC controller
- Asus Touch Screen with NUC, mounted on wall.
- Removed the AC Contactor, On/Off switch, and spindle direction control from PM30 control box.
- Replaced the EMO switch with one that has NC and NO contacts. Replaced the On/Off switch with one that is "lighted".
- Replaced the speed control pot, with a 3-turn pot. Eventually, I will have the Acorn Board controlling spindle speed.
o Acorn Board does control Spindle On/Off and direction, however.
- Installed magnetic proximity switches for "Homing". Plan to use "soft" limits for other end of axes travel.

TODO: Get a "one-shot" oiler system installed before I start making chips!

Here's some pics, for your viewing enjoyment! :) Merry Christmas to all of you!!!

1575823526382.jpeg

1575823571467.jpeg

1575823595253.jpeg

1575823623615.jpeg

1575823658888.jpeg

1575823677657.jpeg

1575823702913.jpeg

1575823724622.jpeg

1575823803999.jpeg

Note: This control box has to "switched" AC outlets for Display and NUC. When I turn on, Display and NUC power on, then we go straight into
the Centroid CNC Mill Software.

That is a beautiful sight!
RObert

Back