PM-30MV and PM-1340GT arriving Thursday, 9/27!!!!

rafprecision

Mitch Royals
Registered
Ordered these items back in June. Lathe was in stock, ready to ship. However, due to my limited garage space... I needed to get the Mill installed first.
Since June, I've been monitoring "hobby-machinist" and planning for a VFD install on lathe, based on everyone's comments and posted documents.

Thanks to you all, especially Mark!!! :)

During this time, I've been acquiring tooling, at last minute ... updating my garage's 220V "sub-panel" from 3-wire to 4-wire (should have done this first time :(, oh well live-n-learn).

Matt and QMT Team have been GREAT to deal with, both voice and email. Thank you Guys @ QMT!!! :)

I hope to "picument" and share with you guys, delivery and install, in the coming weeks.

More later.

Mitch

Nice! That looks like an amazing lathe. My PM1127 wants to be that cool when it grows up.

Congrats! Great choices IMO. Please share unpack and set up experiences.

Ordered these items back in June. Lathe was in stock, ready to ship. However, due to my limited garage space... I needed to get the Mill installed first.
Since June, I've been monitoring "hobby-machinist" and planning for a VFD install on lathe, based on everyone's comments and posted documents.

Thanks to you all, especially Mark!!! :)

During this time, I've been acquiring tooling, at last minute ... updating my garage's 220V "sub-panel" from 3-wire to 4-wire (should have done this first time :(, oh well live-n-learn).

Matt and QMT Team have been GREAT to deal with, both voice and email. Thank you Guys @ QMT!!! :)

I hope to "picument" and share with you guys, delivery and install, in the coming weeks.

More later.

Mitch

OK Guys, it's been over a week now! Delivery and install went well! ...

1) Prepped for delivery, 2-Ton Engine Hoist from HF, home-made 2-wheel dollies, Heavy Duty Casters from Amazon.
Notice winch bolted to garage floor (since removed)...

'
1538950379572.jpeg

2) SAIA has arrived, PM-30MV ready to "winch" up driveway...

1538950502567.jpeg

3) Next, PM-1340GT ...

1538950590612.jpeg

4) Note: My crates were not attached to pallets. SAIA Driver helped us with some "lifting". Tipped him well!
No issues with crating, delivery, or unload.

5) PM-30MV crate has been "pulled" into garage, PM-1340GT on it's way...

1538950795009.jpeg

6) PM-30MV uncrated, moved into position and cleaned. Power Feed attached, Shars 5" Vise attached, including PM Ultra Precision Drill Chuck...
Note: 5" Vise is working well. I'm glad I did a 5", not a 4"...

1538951052620.jpeg

7) Lathe moved into place. Let the lifting begin!!! ...

1538951152986.jpeg

8) Chasing the Stands' threaded leveling holes. Definitely needed to be done! Levelers had "anti-skid" pads, had to eventually remove them. :(

1538951328740.jpeg

9) Almost there...

1538951397630.jpeg

10) All cleaned up! Used a 1" paint brush and Mineral Spirits, and an additional small copper wire brush to clean the threaded lead screw...

1538951555274.jpeg

11) Notice PM Ultra Precision MT3 Drill Chuck. Haven't used the chucks yet, but I'm very pleased so far.

12) Next step, get the VFD and Controls installed!!!

13) More later! Getting ready for Sunday Night Football!!! :)

Congratulations on the new equipment, they look great. Let the fun begin.

Update - 10/13/18

Hi All, I've been working on getting the VFD Control System going, taking input from all of you who have gone this route.

Braking resistor is an Ohmite ARF500-68R, purchased from Mouser. It's mounted to base panel with L-brackets. Makes it "free standing",
getting air circulation on all 6 sides.

1539482447919.jpeg

1539483954214.jpeg

Have a fan/grill coming, and other misc items. Hope to "Power Up" the 1340GT next weekend! Finally!
I elected to put ALL controls inside this Hoffman Box, mount to side of headstock stand.
The original "control" box will just contain a DIN terminal block, a Machtech, and a Buck Converter for Machtech.
Just need to "turn" an outboard spider!!! :)

Acquired all the "stuff", mentioned in this forum, from Automation Direct, and other distributers.
For now, I just "flipped" the original switch panel around, added joystick for jog function, new EMO switch, a Proximity Bypass switch, and Speed Control switch. Elected to go with a "push-on push-off" lighted switch for Coolant. This will have to be implemented later, with a new panel.

1539483418926.jpeg

More later guys, time to eat dinner!!!

Back