PM-30MV Casting Imperfections - Is this ok?

Thanks everyone for the feedback. General consensus appears to be its just cosmetic in nature, and shouldn't cause me issues down the road. I really just wanted to know if I need to address it before I reassemble the table, or if I can ignore it and go back work. (And if it does cause me issues - its covered under warranty for as long as I own the machine).

Matt and I chatted over email as well. Its all good. Great customer service as always.

I agree, voids in castings are common. I have had straight-edges cast in Minnesota and they get them from time to time. It is not in an exposed spot, one could basically call them extra deep oil pockets. Like he said, these are not made to be used making medical devices. I saw voids like this and the nut removal design from below on Tormach machines made in China too. I would bet PM isn't happy there are voids but they are not going to be an issue on and unexposed spot.

This interaction is better advertising than all those PM ads I keep getting. Matt is a dude!

When you see void imperfections in an area of a casting, you can probably bet that there are more voids that are not visible. It can possibly make for a machine with less stiffness and less strength in that area. You can also probably use it for decades without even noticing any problems, even though there are weaknesses. When buying a used machine, I would note it, try to get a discount, and then see what happens. I would fill any voids in sliding contact surfaces with a putty that filled the voids and disallowed chips and grits from packing into the voids. On a new machine, I would ask for a replacement machine or a refund of part of the cost of the machine. That should really be done within a short time after purchasing the machine, and definitely within the warranty period of the machine.

TLDR;

It won't affect the mills operation, but if you don't say anything, the manufacturer will continue to pass similar defects to the end user.

Tell the vendor so they can do their part to improve QC. Since it's likely not going to affect operation, don't expect more then reasonable I'mnterms of a cure.

Enjoy you new mill!

Fursphere,
Looking at the part you are highlighting, there are linear light scratches on the “scraped” surface.
I assume that is the bearing part as the oil hole is present.
If that’s the way they finish a bearing surface, it would be interesting to see how flat it is.
Has anyone ever scraped with the results shown?
Please don’t take this the wrong way, you have a quality machine from a company with an amazing reputation.
Just curiosity talking.

Last edited:
Back