PM-30MV Ergonomics

emilypixels

Registered
Registered
Looking at a new mill to add to a workshop - I won't be the only user but I will be the shortest - at around 5'2"
I notice the Z height adjustment on this model is at the very top of the column and while it looks like it should be within reach, I'm not sure if actually using it with the PM stand from the front will be comfortable/practical

The scant diagrams in the manual aren't helping a lot with this either.

Has anyone on the shorter side used this with the provided stand and has any feedback on this?

I also noticed another user posted a PM-25 mod to drive the Z axis from a handle located at the front, which I may ultimately do, or look into a table with adjustable height.

The PM-30MV is an excellent mill. Mine is on casters so it is 4" higher then normal. I'm 6'3" and it is a decent reach for me. The problem that you will have is turning the crank. It is very hard to raise. On mine you don't turn the handle, you yank and shove. Coming down you can spin it with a couple of fingers. The DRO gets in the way so it has to be pushed way back to get to the handle. Not a big deal. All kidding aside you can reach it with a small Rubbermaid step, but you may have trouble cranking it. I'm already starting to collect stuff for a Z motor.
With that said, the mill has done everything I have asked of it. I am quite pleased with it. Charles

Similar experience raising and lowering the head on my CO 9x40. I ended up making a pulley/cable rig and hung some barbell weights behind the column to help counterbalance the head. Mucho better. :)

Just got my PM30mv delivered last Friday. On a Grizzly mobile base and PM30 base, from floor to center of Z crank is 66". Table height is 37" The Grizzly base raises the mill close to 1 1/2" or less wihch is OK for me being 5' 7" tall. Cranking the head up takes some effort. Coming down is real easy. I need a Z axis power kit.

Wrmiller, can you post a picture of barbell system? Weights I have a lot including a set from the dump. The Z motor I am still getting together. Thanks Charles

Looking at a new mill to add to a workshop - I won't be the only user but I will be the shortest - at around 5'2"
I notice the Z height adjustment on this model is at the very top of the column and while it looks like it should be within reach, I'm not sure if actually using it with the PM stand from the front will be comfortable/practical

The scant diagrams in the manual aren't helping a lot with this either.

Has anyone on the shorter side used this with the provided stand and has any feedback on this?

I also noticed another user posted a PM-25 mod to drive the Z axis from a handle located at the front, which I may ultimately do, or look into a table with adjustable height.

Take a look at the attached snapshots of my 5’ 1” 85 pound (senior citizen) wife posing at my PM-25V on the standard stand. Maybe this will help you decide. She can crank it up (and down) but a stool would help. In practice I use a small portable electric drill on the exposed nut. Easy Peasy. -Bill

Attachments

• 61C02EA9-E26E-41F1-AE12-B5FC644875F1.jpeg
    61C02EA9-E26E-41F1-AE12-B5FC644875F1.jpeg
    980.5 KB · Views: 613
  • E7D10511-A0D1-4BEA-8A1E-F1FCF6769E78.jpeg
    E7D10511-A0D1-4BEA-8A1E-F1FCF6769E78.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 573
Take a look at the attached snapshots of my 5’ 1” 85 pound (senior citizen) wife posing at my PM-25V on the standard stand. Maybe this will help you decide. She can crank it up (and down) but a stool would help. In practice I use a small portable electric drill on the exposed nut. Easy Peasy. -Bill
Fast video of my wife cranking. -Bill

Attachments

• 03509A94-761E-4B3A-8BFB-EC78E64B8A4C.MOV
    10.3 MB
Wrmiller, can you post a picture of barbell system? Weights I have a lot including a set from the dump. The Z motor I am still getting together. Thanks Charles

No Sir, I can't. Never took a pic of it, sorry.

Basically I just sorta copied what I saw on my friends CNC mills. They have counter-balanced heads.

I made some brackets that fit at the top of the column, on either side. On the brackets I put booms that had pulleys on either end. Attached (another bracket) the cables to the top of the head, slightly forward of center to bias the load a bit back towards the column, and ran the cables over the pulleys and behind the mill. I then made a bar that I could put weights on and attach to the cables.

I'm glossing over the fact that there was quite a bit of trial and error to get everything working, but in the end it worked really well. I did it more to reduce the cant/angled wear of the head gibbs and ways and the Z-axis screw and nut. The fact that it really helped with cranking the head up and down was a very nice bonus. :D

Back