[4]

PM-30MV headed my way!

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

WyoGreen

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
So as to not horn in on Dawns new PM-25MV thread, I thought I'd start a tread on my new tool to be. Last time I checked the shipping it's somewhere in Chicago. Originally the shipping site said it would be here the 26th, now it says expected delivery date unavailable. So wait, wait, wait, pace, pace, pace, clean shop, clean shop, clean shop........:dejected:

More to come, Steve

tweinke

Active User
Congratulations on your new machine! The wait may seem long but when it gets to you all will be good. Im sure that if you have time some pictures and comments would be appreciated being not much has ben posted about the PM30.

digadv

Registered
So the PM-30MVs are back in stock? They still show backordered on PM's site.

WyoGreen

My new mill has made it from Pittsburgh to Denver in 3 days. Now for the long wait for it to make it out of Denver to Cheyenne, about 100 miles. For some reason when freight goes thru Denver, there seems to be a time warp, and things just disappear for weeks at a time.

Steve

tweinke

Active User
Hope there short weeks!

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
I wanted a PM30 SO bad a while back, but Matt was in between vendors back then. I think it strikes a good balance between capability and size. Hope to see some pics when you get it. :D

Dawn

Registered
So wait, wait, wait, pace, pace, pace, clean shop, clean shop, clean shop........:dejected:
Haaa! Spent the entire weekend measuring, prepping, cleaning and rearranging. Then, rinse and repeat!:chunky:

brav65

Active User
My new mill has made it from Pittsburgh to Denver in 3 days. Now for the long wait for it to make it out of Denver to Cheyenne, about 100 miles. For some reason when freight goes thru Denver, there seems to be a time warp, and things just disappear for weeks at a time.

Steve
That’s what happens when you legalize marijuana.... the delivery truck is sitting on the median with the whole cab filled with smoke...LOL

wileel

Registered
Just got mine off the truck yesterday! Your going to like it!!

Not sure about your set-up and where you are going to put it but mine is on a 35" high bench and my engine crane was a little shy of getting it up that high. I pulled the motor off to get the boom lower on the machine then slung it up to the bench top and on 4 small tubes to Egyptian roll it into the finial place....worked perfectly.

Dawn

Registered
That’s what happens when you legalize marijuana.... the delivery truck is sitting on the median with the whole cab filled with smoke...LOL
Oh my..! I hear it makes you hungry.

There's a whole lotta' McDonalds between here and there.

FOMOGO

Active User
Please stop picking on us poor Coloradans. We are just simple agrarians, trying to make a living. Now where did I put that king size bag of Chettos? :) Mike

WyoGreen

Good news, my mill showed up at the freight terminal today. So I'll run down and pick it up in the morning. Evidently there aren't as many McDonald's between here and Denver as we thought! :faint:

Steve

jwmelvin

Registered
Mine also arrived at the terminal today.

WyoGreen

Got the mill home this morning and have it somewhat set up. I've been working on a project, and used the new mill to drill some holes. Would have been easier if the chuck I ordered with it had come, but I guess just because something is in stock when you order and pay doesn't mean it's going to be in stock when they ship the machine.

Overall the machine looks pretty nice and runs pretty nice. I did have a rude surprise to discover that the X axis power feed I ordered with the machine hangs down below the chip pan, so you would loose some travel if your machine is mounted on a stand. Since I mounted mine on a tool cart, it won't work at all. Maybe I can space the the mill a few inches higher on the chip pan. I'll have to ponder on that a bit.

Home Depot had a sale on a large tool cart a couple months ago, so I picked one up. I took the casters off and put leveling feet on it. It's rated at 1,000 lbs and I added some 3/8's inch angle iron from side to side under the top, and laminated a new top out of two pieces of 3/4 inch plywood. It's pretty hard to move around all by itself, putting the mill on top makes it really hard to move around! :eek 2:

Anyway, a few pictures:
DSC_0199.JPG DSC_0203.JPG DSC_0204.JPG

qualitymachinetools

Active User
H-M Supporter - Site Sponsor
Glad it made it! Finally haha

With that X Feed, use the instructions that are in the manual on the web site. It does not hang down and you do not lose any travel.

And can you email me and let me know who you are? (Cant tell by the screen name) matt@precisionmatthews.com

I want to look up your order and find why something did not ship and it was ordered with your machine, thats not how it works.

Dawn

Registered
Glad you got yours, Steve!

Mine is supposed to be here on the 29th.

Ohhhh, the anxiety in anticipation...

BTW, looks awesome!!

WyoGreen

Matt was right on about the power feed, it does fit. It's amazing the things you can learn when you read the manual! (In my defense I did read the manual, but it was 3 months ago and I may have forgotten a few things) :eek:

Steve

DSC_0207.JPG

tweinke

Active User
In my line of work I have found manuals are the first thing to look at, especially after you think you know what to do. o_O Now I wish more customers would open there glove box and read the least used book in the world to find the answers to there questions before bringing to me to fix. Enjoy the new mill!

jwmelvin

Registered
I want to look up your order and find why something did not ship and it was ordered with your machine, thats not how it works.
That’s how it worked for me too. My drill chuck did not ship even though ordered with my machine on 3/6 and delivered 6/27. (Invoice 2018-8260.)

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Matt was right on about the power feed, it does fit. It's amazing the things you can learn when you read the manual! (In my defense I did read the manual, but it was 3 months ago and I may have forgotten a few things) :eek:

Steve
Steve, If you want to rotate the power feed control box back to vertical, as an option you can just remove the chip pan. In my opinion it is severely undersize and you may find it not that practical in the end. Just throwing out there as and option for you. She is a beauty, happy machining.

WyoGreen

In the past, when I needed to do some milling, I'd slap on the milling attachment I made for my lathe. All it could handle were very light cuts.
Fast forward to today, I got to try out some milling on the new mill, and was astonished by the difference. I imagine I had a grin from ear to ear. :grin:
The power feed is great, glad I added it, and the DRO is pretty darn nice also. All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the machine.
Changing R8 collets however is not fun. :( I think dealing with that may be one of my first projects for the mill.

Anyway, breaks over, time to go back to play, err.... I mean work. ;)

Steve

jwmelvin

Registered
That’s how it worked for me too. My drill chuck did not ship even though ordered with my machine on 3/6 and delivered 6/27. (Invoice 2018-8260.)
Sorry to clutter your thread but I want to report that as soon as I asked PM about the missing chuck, they realized what went wrong with their process and have one ready to come out to me. It makes me feel even better about my choice to choose them as my vendor. (I managed to power up my 30MV and it’s nice and smooth; I’m excited to start cutting metal.)

WyoGreen

Yes, I just got an email from Matt saying they found the chucks over in their new warehouse so they should be shipped out soon.

Steve

navav2002

Registered
Last edited:

WyoGreen

I've been running the mill for a week now, and am still very pleased. I've been using my electric drill and a socket to speed up the collet process, and that works fine for now. I installed a LED halo light around the quill, and that works nice also. I still have not received a shipping notice on my missing drill chuck, so I guess I'll have to call Matt on Monday to see why it hasn't shipped. Other than that, life is good. :grin:

WyoGreen

I received my chuck yesterday and it is a nice piece. That should pretty well wrap up this saga.

Everyone have a good weekend, and I'll be posting again I'm sure, Steve :cool:

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
I received my chuck yesterday and it is a nice piece. That should pretty well wrap up this saga.

Everyone have a good weekend, and I'll be posting again I'm sure, Steve :cool:

Have fun with that thing! :)

digadv

Registered
I've been running the mill for a week now, and am still very pleased. I've been using my electric drill and a socket to speed up the collet process, and that works fine for now. I installed a LED halo light around the quill, and that works nice also. I still have not received a shipping notice on my missing drill chuck, so I guess I'll have to call Matt on Monday to see why it hasn't shipped. Other than that, life is good. :grin:
What halo light did you get? If you can snap a photo that would be great.

My PM30MV is also setup and running but I'm still waiting on my drill chuck also.

WyoGreen

Hi digadv, I bought this one off ebay. There are a zillion Halo lights out there in almost any size you want. I turned a ring out of aluminum that the plastic cover clips over, and counter sunk 3 holes for some small rare earth magnets to glue into. This whole assembly just sticks to the spindle and the leads route to a 12 volt power supply I had laying around that sets on top of the control box. I wrapped a piece of green electrical tape around the outside edge of the plastic houseing to cut down on glare, and it gives it a kind of cool green glow around the spindle. I suppose I should take a picture of the setup just for documentations sake.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=251564693042&view=all&tid=2288614751015

Steve

[6]
[5] [7]