PM-30MV power feed

WyoGreen

Registered
Registered
It's been a couple of months now since I got my new PM-30MV. I'm on my 2nd bucket of chips, so it's time to post about some projects. 1st up is the Z-axis power feed I just completed. I had an old wheelchair power lift that came out of the back of a truck I inherited. It's been sitting in my shop for the last 15 years, so it was time to do something with it. It had a hand-held controller, a relay box, and a couple of 12 volt motors, one of which was a gear reduction unit. I hooked that motor up to a 12 volt power supply, and it rotated at about 114 rpm, which seems to be in the ball-park of recommended speeds from reading other threads on the forumn about this subject.
For now I'm using a 13.6 volt power supply that came out of a test cart that was used for testing mobile telephone equipment in the very early days of mobile phones. It puts out 30 amps, so it's way over-kill for this project, but hey, it was free.

So here's some pictures of the project:

The first picture is of the mounting bracket. The screw slots and large hole allow for adjustment up and down.
DSC_0229.JPG

This next picture is of the motor mounted on the bracket.
DSC_0230.JPG

Then comes the drive mechanism. I used a chain drive because I had the components laying around from a CNC router table that I junked out.
DSC_0231.JPG

And last is a cover prototype that I worked up with the sheet metal brake I finished up as the first thing I built with my new mill. It's a little rough around the edges right now, but a little tweaking here and there and a little paint...... It just slips over the top of the mounting bracket.
DSC_0236.JPG

Not pictured is the power supply, the relay box, and the hand held controller for running the motor forward and reverse. It all works a treat. I might mention that I shoe-horned a variable speed motor controller into the relay box, so I can change the up/down speed of the Z axis.

Back