PM 45 Mill. Keeping ways lubed...

For these ball valves I believe the correct oiler to use are the ones they call high pressure oilers.

Img_4225.jpg

The one I used to use is the red metal one on the right. I had two of them & they leaked like crazy. HF used to sell these but now they carry that clear all plastic one sitting to the left of it. I decided to get one since it was only a couple of bucks, to my surpise it has been working great for a couple of years now & has never leaked on me. And that HF one holds 8oz instead of 5oz.

Grizzly also sells them. http://www.grizzly.com/products/High-Pressure-Oil-Can-5-Oz-With-Steel-Nozzle/H7615

But really you can use any oiler that has a tip that will depress the ball & have enough pressure to inject the oil in. My PM lathe came with a squeeze bottle that has a tip that works with these ball valves but I never did try to use it.

Img_4225.jpg

Must be the oil-can equivalent of "Assault Guns".... Sorry, sorry, sorry.... Sorry Tony, I know, I did a bad thing but I couldn't help myself.

BTW: Now that I've been indoctrinated into the virtues of bb-valves and oil cans, I made a little mod to the oil can nozzle tips.

I made a tiny slit at the opening. Now the tip can push-in the BB and also seal around the hole circumference of the valve but the little slit allows the oil to shoot out w/o having to push the BB out of the way. Hope that made sense...

Ray

EDIT: Clarified 1st sentence.

Last edited:
IMO the ways on your mill have not been scraped. Someone has done a poor job of flaking the ways. They also flaked the wrong side. You have nice little pockets that hold grit and dirt that grinds away at the other surface. If your ways were scraped they would look something like this with out the flaking.

Dave

000_0403.jpg

000_0403.jpg

Dave,

I was thinking exactly the same thing... Why would you want the scraping exposed where grit can get in there and get dragged in between the pieces?

Let's say you have a lathe and the shiny ways are exposed... You wouldn't want scraping there, you'd want scraping under the saddle/carriage it seems. Correct?

Ray

We have apples and oranges here. We have machine scraping that is used to get a surface dead flat and parallel to mating surfaces. This way your contact ares is optimum. The degree of finish for scraping is given in points per square inch (PPI) and percentage of points (POP). I believe ways are scraped to 24-40 and a surface plate to 40-40.
Then we have machine flaking for oil retention on the machine. The flaking should be done on a surface that prevents grit and grim from settling into the flaking. This is what you have on your machine and it is poorly done and on the wrong surface.

I don't know if you have seen this thread. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/8407-Scrapping-finish I started it when I was having trouble. Richard King gave me a lot of info on scraping.

Dave

Those cheap machines are flaked at the factory like that. Peter the host of the MN class I had last summer had a Rung-Fo copy and it had the same crappy flaking on it. Plus it was out .008". I probably am not the best "Moderator for the Chinese machine forum" as they are not the best of quality now. But I am old enough to remember they used to call machines from Japan. Japanese junk...lol...now they are first class machines. When Chinese quality machines are being built..we will say those dang cheap machines made in Viet Nam. Dave it's nice to see you understood...I had to look at who was writing that about PPI and POP....thought I wrote that...LOL and Dave I bet you learned as much from Forrest :) Thanks for the compliment :)

Back