PM-45M-CNC Setup and Configuration with Mach3

Thanks Ray,

PM45-CNC 3 axis. nonvariable motor, coolant, one shot lube, pendant unit.

I've been though the documents and the mach3 videos like 5 times each and can't put my finger on the problem. If/when I figure it out, I will let you know.

Aaron

For those of you watching this thread, we got it all worked-out in a few minutes. Minor tweaking of the stop tab settings...

Life is good for ajg308...

Ray

Life is good! We should all be thankful for someone like Ray. He gave me is personal cell and walked through it together with me. In his own time, pretty awesome. Thanks Ray.

Aaron

Hi. I'm so new to this I haven't even received my machine yet. I will have many questions in the future but the only one I have now is, since my computer doesn't have a rs232 printer port, which one will I use? USB or VGA or HDMI or do I need to get a rs232 board to stick in the mother board? Thanks, Bill

Hi Bill. welcome! Been in the "so new I can spell Mach3" and it is exciting times! The PM45 look awesome and you'll love it I'm sure! On the Mach3 setup. That is usually a parallel port connected item. This is a long thread chain. Was there something mentioned about the MTR's (min tech reqs) for the home computer somewhere? happy to help. Have you selected a CAM program and/or a CAD design tool?

I use Draftsight from Dessault. It is totally free. for CAM I selected DolphinCam. I have been really happy with it overall. Parts and designs are getting done and the learning curve was pretty extensive and very fun to learn. Just takes some time. Ask away here!

Hi. I'm so new to this I haven't even received my machine yet. I will have many questions in the future but the only one I have now is, since my computer doesn't have a rs232 printer port, which one will I use? USB or VGA or HDMI or do I need to get a rs232 board to stick in the mother board? Thanks, Bill

Welcome to the forum. The PM45M-CNC will talk to MACH3 (or is it that Mach3 will talk to the PM45M-CNC) via a USB connection. of course you will need a VGA or HDMI to connect a monitor to the computer. I don't have a Parallel or RS-232 connection on the computer running MACH3 and have not missed them.

Hello Countryguy and Boswell! Thanks for the info. I went ahead and sprung for Bobcad. I've had it for a few months and am starting to get the idea of how stuff works. The Mach3 how to videos on the Artsoft website either did not mention any connection other than rs232 or I just didn't hear it. The ports I listed were the ones not in use on the back of the computer so it's great to here that USB will work. I thought that there would a way other than RS232 because it's pretty antiquated as far as computers go. I retired in March and started metalworking as my new hobby and see that it's so interesting and I'll never run out of things to learn(especially since I know nothing). I have found that I am starting into a hobby that some people are retiring from but there seems to be a greater number of people who are metal workers by trade and have shops at home because it's so interesting. Again, thank you for helping Bill

Countryguy, I looked at all of the software packages I could find on the internet. The only people around here I could find to talk to were guys who used the software where they work. They each liked the software that they knew and they were using industrial strength programs $$$$$$. Solidworks, AutoCAD, etc. I really don't know why I decided on Bobcad but they have been great to me and I am getting the hang of it. The biggest mistake that I made was trying to figure it out on my own with no cad background. Once I got the instructional videos things took off. Talk with you later, Bill

Re: Mach3 via USB- side-bar. PM-45M-CNC Setup and Configuration with Mach3

I did not find much on Mach3 via USB from PC to controller outside of some external products (link to 1 attached). Is there a plug in of some sorts? Curious now.

http://cncdrive.com/MC/UC100 datasheet/UC100 users guide.pdf

The PM45M-CNC comes with a Motion Controller. This is what translate data from Mach3 to the Stepper and spindle motors. The specific Motion controller that the PM34 uses comes with a "Driver/plugin" that you install on the Mach3 system. It will interface the Motion Controller that is in the PM45... Control cabinet to Mach3. You might be able to find a little bit of info on the motion controller if you search around. It is a JNC-40M. Of course the PM45... will come with the instructions (mostly translated) to configure and install all of this. Any translations that you don't understand you can get clarification here. we have all been through it.

Hello Ray, I have a pm-45m-cnc, variable speed motor, two speed gearbox, and a pendant. I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of someone who might have this same setup who might be willing to email me a working mach3 xml configuration file.

Back