PM-45M-CNC Setup and Configuration with Mach3

Hello zr8cnc,
I finally got back to that height set tool plate. I got it right away. I don't think that I had the damn thing running before when I was trying to get the Digitize light to prove the circuit. Sometimes I amaze myself at how thick headed I can be. Here is the button script used with built in instructions for personalization.On the board I used I10 and the 5v ground. Bill

CurrentFeed =GetOemDRO(818) 'Get the current feedrate to return to later

CurrentAbsInc =GetOemLED(48) 'Get the current G90/G91 state
CurrentGmode =GetOemDRO(819) 'Get the current G0/G1 state

If GetOemLed (825)=0 Then'Check to see if the probe is already grounded or faulty
DoOEMButton (1010) 'zerothe Z axis so the probe move will start from here
Code "G4 P3"' this delay gives me time to get from computer to hold probe inplace
Code "G90 G31Z-4.F4"'probing move, F4is the feed rate here for the move and -4is how far spindle will move beforegiving up
While IsMoving() 'waitwhile it happens
Wend
ZProbePos = GetVar(2002)'get the exact point the probe was hit
Code "G0 Z"&ZProbePos 'go back to that point, always a very small amount ofoverrun
While IsMoving ()
Wend
Call SetDro (2, .793)' change .060 to your plate thickness and then adjust for finalaccuracy
Sleep 200 'Pause for Droto update.
Code "G1 Z1.F50"' Z1 is the Z retract height you want here, must be greater than thetouch plate thickness F50is the Feedrate after process
While IsMoving ()
Wend
Code "(Z axis is nowzeroed)" 'puts this message in the status bar
Code "F"&CurrentFeed 'Returns to prior feed rate
Else
Code "(Z-Plate isgrounded, check connection and try again)" 'this goes in thestatus bar if applicable
End If
If CurrentAbsInc = 0 Then'if G91 was in effect before then return to it
Code "G91"
End If
If CurrentGMode = 0 Then'if G0 was in effect before then return to it
Code "G0"
End If

Wow, it looks like I missed a bunch of post in this thread. I still have not figured out how to automatically subscribe to threads that I post in.

Did you connect the probe as lim1lph suggested ?

Hi Guys, I'm going to try a touch probe next. I don't know if I can use the same connections or use another empty point on the card. I think that ProbeIt looks like a good addition to Mach3. I just read the manual for it and it seems as though there are quite a few settings to tweak, but that's what a hobby is all about. See ya, Bill

Well, the touch probe has been a bust. I've tried everything I can think of but there just isn't enough information from Jamen. Has anyone replaced it and, if so, what did you replace it with? Thanks, Bill

I have not tried to use a probe yet but I have looked at the Jamen documents (such as it is). forgive me if you already figured this out and tried this, but it looks like the IN# need to be shorted to Ground via 10 Ohms of resistance in order to signal to Mach3 that there is a contact closeure. Have you tried this without using the Probit to see if the control board is talking to Mach3 properly?

Hi, I have a tool height block that works great without a resistor. The touch probe that I have requires the Input to be reversed, as it is closed to start and then opens when it touches something. It's been 2 weeks since I've played with it but it won't respond (the Probe LED won't clear) no matter what I try. Could this be because I am not using the resistor? Thanks for responding, Bill

It should not mater if it is N.O. (normally open) or N.C. (Normally closed). A typical tool height setter will have only one wire from the control board to the setter that is then shorted to ground via the tool and machine. This is a N.O. configuration. For a N.C. tool to work it most likely has two wires. One would need to go to Ground and the other to the control board. If the switching is 100% mechanical then it should not mater which. If it has some active component to it (internal circuitry) then that could be the issue and there is no universal answer on how to connect an "active" switch. You can find out which you have by using an Ohm meter across the two wires and then deflecting the tip to see what happens. A N.C. switch should have a very low resistance (<3 ohms) until it is active (deflected in this case) then the resistance should go up into the > Multi Megaohms. Is there a place I can download the documentation for the touch probe ?

P.s. I doubt the resistor (or lack of resistor) is the culprit.

The connection instructions on the Ebay site seem pretty standard and should work with the Jamen controller.
I would break out your ohm meter to see what is going on "inside". Might just be broken

Mount it on your mill, then
1. Measure between the two wires when it is not touching something (not deflected)
2. Measure between the two wires when it IS touching something (deflected)
3. Measure between one (RED or Positive first) of the wires and the table when it is NOT touching the table
4. Measure between the same wire and the table when it IS touching the table (or a metal part that is clamped to the table)
5. Repeat #3 and #4 with the Other wire.

Proper operation probably should be (assumes that the switching is "passive" (mechanical). If it is "active" then it will require some power to operate. Looking at the generic design info that I can find, it looks passive
1. High resistance
2. Low Resistance
3. High Resistance (both wires)
4. High Resistance (both wires)

Back