PM-45M-CNC Setup and Configuration with Mach3

Thank you for the quick reply to my dilemma. I worked with the machine some more last night. I tried playing with the debounce settings which unfortunately did not help the problem. I had previously disabled all of the inputs to just E-Stop and the machine still behaved the same way. I looked at all of the I/O to the Jamen JNC-40M card last night and the power supplies and everything looks just as it should be. I briefly connected machine ground to the floating controller card ground it still behaved the same way. I unplugged the pendant controls and Mach3 still behaved the same way. I've literally traced and inspected every wire in this machine at this point. It all seems to point to the Jamen JNC-40M controller card which is unfortunate since it is a brand new machine. I'm using the latest version of Mach 3 and the latest JNC-40M driver version 1.58. The PC is able to recognize the presence of the JNC-40M with no problem, just as documented. So, how do you tell what version of firmware is on the JNC-40M card? Can it be upgraded and how do I get the latest version?
I uploaded a short video clip of what the Mach3 diagnostics screen looks like to my google drive. You can see it at the following link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5qqT-Ir3vYXem1MbVYtSTBWbDA/view?usp=sharing

It ultimately sounds like a faulty JNC-40N or faulty power supply. Barring that, I'd create a new installation of mach3 on a different computer just to rule out a software gremlin. Then it's either a software setting or a faulty wire. Maybe.

Jake

Thanks Jake. I'm going to use an oscilloscope tonight and look for noise on the power supplies. The DC voltages are all correct when measured with a handheld meter.

David

I would agree that it looks like a problem with the JNC or the power supply to the JNC. An O-Scope will tell you quickly if you have power drop-outs that correspond to the flashing Inputs. Have you called and talk to Matt and Precision Matthews? I hear he is very responsive. One of the things that I disliked about the JNC-40N controller is that I could not find any updates to drivers or firmware and in addition the Probe input never worked. I eventually replaced it with a Smoothstepper board.

One more suggestion for Isolation. Disconnect the wires for the Limit switches and the Home Switches and then see if you still get the flashing. If the O-Scope shows constant power and the inputs are flapping without any connection then you pretty much have it isolated to the JNC board.

Good luck and keep letting us know how you are getting along.

Inspection with the Oscilloscope showed no noise issues with the JNC-40M board I/Os. It is looking like the JNC-40M controller was DOA. I'm going to try to just get another I/O board. I will try complete isolation tonight and see if it is happy under those conditions.
If we were to upgrade to a Smoothstepper board, is the setup fairly straight-forward? Is the board documentation better? I assume I would just wire in the I/Os, connect the 24VDC power with Ethernet to a computer, configure Mach3/4 and we'd be rocking...
Thanks for your support!

You will need three things to install a smoothstepper Ethernet board.
1. The Smoothstepper Ethernet board
2. the PMDX-126 BOB (Break out Board) with Spindle controller
3. a 12vdc Power Supply.

GaryL and myself have both made the conversion and if you scroll back a few posts in this thread you will see documentation and pictures of both of our work. The documentation on the boards is in English and very detailed. I had to read some of several times to understand it, not because it was poor english but because it was technically dense. Thanks to the work that GaryL did, it was a snap for me. Added benefit is that the Probe input works properly and so does the Backlash compensation. You will not be able to use the pendent that was supplied with the PM-45-CNC but frankly that is no loss.

I will second the PMDX-126 BoB, ESS motion controller & PMDX-107 spindle controller combo. I have these on my PM-932 CNC conversion and they have been flawless. I agree with Boswell on the manuals being a little technical but that's a good thing. The PMDX customer support is top tier.

I use an xbox 360 game pad for a pendant. Mach3 has plugins for it. Works very well.

Well fellas, I just ordered a PMDX424 and 407 along with Mach 4. There's going to be some difficult times ahead while figure all of this out.

I was surprised at how easy it was to get the motion controller replaced. I spent more time on mounting and moving the wiring over than anything else. I never did get Mach4 working. It fell into the category of "Don't fix what isn't broke" and Mach3 is doing everything I ask of it.

I was surprised at how easy it was to get the motion controller replaced. I spent more time on mounting and moving the wiring over than anything else. I never did get Mach4 working. It fell into the category of "Don't fix what isn't broke" and Mach3 is doing everything I ask of it.
They inferred that this board is made easy for mach4. I guess I'll have to see how it works or

Back