• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

PM 727M Enclosure

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

jaxpc

Swarf
Registered
I just received my 727m, but I can't set it up until I do some shop construction. I'm not going to be using liquid
coolant. I would like to contain a lot of the chips if possible. Are there any plans for a simple, cheap, chip enclosure?
Or semi-enclosure, to keep my shop a little cleaner. A full CNC enclosure will not be needed. Thanks

Ray C

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
This probably is not as glamorous as some setups but, I use little spring clips to hold pieces of cardboard as deflector shields. The cardboard that comes from cereal boxes is ideal. I have a couple wooden dowel rods and stuff them into a couple T-slot nuts for quick positioning. This localizes the cleanup immensely and is universally flexible -and cost essentially nothing.

Ray

Clock work

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I do something similar to Ray and have some clear panels screwed to on/off magnets I can move around. Stuff still flies... I keep meaning to put a shower curtain up I can draw into position when I know I have an operation with a big throw and out of the way the rest of the time. Also unglamorous though.

stioc

Registered
Registered
I use a few deflectors to keep much of the mess off the floor. The metal ends of the table come off with half a twist of the bolts holding them in place if I need the room for large pieces (which is rare).

jaxpc

Swarf
Registered
Some great ideas so far. I never thought of a shower curtain type setup.

jaxpc

Swarf
Registered
Thanks for the links. I have seen a few of his You Tube videos. His PM 727m CNC project is pretty advanced. Some of the first videos
in that CNC series are good. The machine unboxing and set-up. But, his enclosure is full on CNC style and beyond what I need right now,
as a beginning mill user. They are good videos. CNC is far in the future, for me.

jbolt

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
On y pm-932 CNC conversion I only have a half height enclosure. I works fine for most things even with the high volume of coolant I run. I do occasionally get some spray over the top but not enough to fret over. I started with a PVC pipe and shower curtain setup and later changed to a frame from 8020, aluminum sheet sides and lexan sliding doors. It is still an open top enclosure. I found that the coolant eventually makes the shower curtain material hard and brittle.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pm932-cnc-build.21442/post-432102

ryan79

Registered
Registered
started off as something that was suposto be simple and quick/ but then I decided to wrap it in aluminum and add the chip pull out draws, what was I thinking. still need to make some back braces, side guards at the table edges and install the z axis motor, its a 3 phase gear motor and 150rpm whit a vfd 110 to 3 phase 1/4 hp.

jaxpc

Swarf
Registered
Thanks Ryan. That is more along the lines of what I was thinking. Yes, a little higher on the ends would work for me, as well.
My brother is a aircraft homebuilder, and I might talk/force/bribe him into building me a enclosure. Your floor is really nice.
I can see why you want a nice enclosure. Love your rolling cart by the way.

[6]
[5] [7]