• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

PM 727M Enclosure

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

jaxpc

Iron
Registered Member
I just received my 727m, but I can't set it up until I do some shop construction. I'm not going to be using liquid
coolant. I would like to contain a lot of the chips if possible. Are there any plans for a simple, cheap, chip enclosure?
Or semi-enclosure, to keep my shop a little cleaner. A full CNC enclosure will not be needed. Thanks

Ray C

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
This probably is not as glamorous as some setups but, I use little spring clips to hold pieces of cardboard as deflector shields. The cardboard that comes from cereal boxes is ideal. I have a couple wooden dowel rods and stuff them into a couple T-slot nuts for quick positioning. This localizes the cleanup immensely and is universally flexible -and cost essentially nothing.

Ray

Clock work

I do something similar to Ray and have some clear panels screwed to on/off magnets I can move around. Stuff still flies... I keep meaning to put a shower curtain up I can draw into position when I know I have an operation with a big throw and out of the way the rest of the time. Also unglamorous though.

stioc

I use a few deflectors to keep much of the mess off the floor. The metal ends of the table come off with half a twist of the bolts holding them in place if I need the room for large pieces (which is rare).

jaxpc

Iron
Registered Member
Thanks for the links. I have seen a few of his You Tube videos. His PM 727m CNC project is pretty advanced. Some of the first videos
in that CNC series are good. The machine unboxing and set-up. But, his enclosure is full on CNC style and beyond what I need right now,
as a beginning mill user. They are good videos. CNC is far in the future, for me.

jbolt

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
On y pm-932 CNC conversion I only have a half height enclosure. I works fine for most things even with the high volume of coolant I run. I do occasionally get some spray over the top but not enough to fret over. I started with a PVC pipe and shower curtain setup and later changed to a frame from 8020, aluminum sheet sides and lexan sliding doors. It is still an open top enclosure. I found that the coolant eventually makes the shower curtain material hard and brittle.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pm932-cnc-build.21442/post-432102

ryan79

Steel
Registered Member
started off as something that was suposto be simple and quick/ but then I decided to wrap it in aluminum and add the chip pull out draws, what was I thinking. still need to make some back braces, side guards at the table edges and install the z axis motor, its a 3 phase gear motor and 150rpm whit a vfd 110 to 3 phase 1/4 hp.

jaxpc

Iron
Registered Member
Thanks Ryan. That is more along the lines of what I was thinking. Yes, a little higher on the ends would work for me, as well.
My brother is a aircraft homebuilder, and I might talk/force/bribe him into building me a enclosure. Your floor is really nice.
I can see why you want a nice enclosure. Love your rolling cart by the way.

[6]
[5] [7]