Just for giggles, I took the back panel into a car paint store and had them make me up a can of matching aerosol paint. I sprayed some on some foil and let it thicken up a bit. I then used a small brush to fill in all the little paint dings around the machine. I did a pretty shoddy job with the bondo and painting on the column but it looks better than it did.
IMG_5304.JPG
IMG_5306.JPG
IMG_5308.JPG

Not exactly milling with precision, but I used the mill to create the inside cavity in a wood sheath and handle for a sword I forged. The wood is from an ash wheelbarrow handle that I cut down the middle then glued back together after I milled it. Still a lot of work to do to make it look pretty.
IMG_5339.JPG
IMG_5340.JPG
IMG_5341.JPG

IMG_5347.JPG
IMG_5348.JPG

Bought some M8x25 replacement knobs for the lockdown levers. The stock front levers tend to catch when you move the x-axis if you don't have them set perfectly.

Last edited:
I also bought a project box, cut some holes into it and mounted it to the back of the DRO display arm. I stuffed all the excess data cables into it to tidy them up a bit. Just need to tidy up a few more and it will be good to go.
IMG_5360.JPG
IMG_5361.JPG
IMG_5363.JPG
IMG_5364.JPG

Last edited:
Since this is "the go to thread" on the 727, I've got a note, w/ pic, and a question.
First the note, drained the gear oil today, again. Got curious, so vacuum filtered it to see the particulates. Oh boy... (see pic for what I mean).

Now the question ...I changed the oil because I noticed a lot of play up and down on the quill when I use the fine adjustment. Has something gone bad, hence the metal debree? What/where should I look first to resolve the play issue?
Side note, I'm going to completely flush the gear box this weekend.

1493953406951-874154320.jpg

Back