PM-727M or PM-932M - help me decide

Astronutski

Registered
Registered
Hi guys, complete newb to machining here but have done a lot of reading and youtube watching. This will be my first mill, I've had enough with woodworking, time to grow up and get some serious precision, life is too short.
Anyway, like most, I am very limited in space and $, and I have narrowed my choice down to the PM-727M & PM-932M. I'm just stuck at the "well for only $200 more..." argument and I do like to only buy tools once instead of upgrading later on. I'm hoping some of you may have experience with both models and can comment to which was the better decision for whatever reason. Down the road I'd LOVE to convert this to CNC.
I know, ultimately, I will have to make this decision, but I'd just like to gather some info from y'all.
I guess the only pro for the 727 is the slightly cheaper price tag which is very attractive. I see right now the 932 is out of stock, at least the one I was most interested in, the 932M, no problem, I'm still gathering data.
To answer the "what envelope size do you need?" question, right now I'd have to say, not a clue. I have nothing specific I'm looking to build, but I think I'd like the bigger size "just in case" you know?

My head is all over the place on this, and I'm just looking for some clarity. I know the tooling can be way more than the machine, so that $200 would help a lot towards tooling, but again, I'm back to five years down the road and the inevitable "if I had only spent the extra $200 on the 932 back then.... " dilemma.

Any and all input greatly appreciated. (Also, any advice on how to sell this whole thing to the wife would be awesome ;-)
Thanks,
Bill

My two cents worth on this is biggest that will fit in your shop and budget. I own a 727m and really like it. It has done the jobs I've asked of it without any issues even one that might have been better on a 932 due to size. If in my case I could have fit the 932 in my budget I would have gone that way because of the extra mass/size. Matt and company are good to work with so which ever machine you would get will have good support. I do not think tooling up costs will be any different between the two machines so figure that in and also remember you do not need every piece of tooling at once. Get a machine, collets, basic end mills etc and build from there. Do not forget measuring tools also. Oh and by the way we are here to help you on your journey and to help you blow your budget to national debt levels! :encourage: As for the wife...... sneak it in the shop and when she notices it tell her you've had it awhile.......... Or as a second thought pitch it to her by saying you could also start bowling or another pastime that would take you away from home in the evenings........ :cool 2:

Hi, and welcome.

First, I own neither of these two. However, I'm saving those pennies for the 932M. I own an Atlas horizontal mill and a Jefferson horizontal(converted to vertical mill). I once thought, "This is going to be all I need". Talk about being WRONG!! I'm limited in space too, but the ability to take a bigger cut with a more rigid machine can't be beat. I say save for the 932M. Download the manual and look at the required space for the machine. From memory I believe you need 4'-5' for the table travel.
Best of luck.

FWIW, the basic model of the 932 is a pretty long wait time, when I inquired a few weeks ago. I think like 6 months. Not to say it’s not worth waiting for...

My two cents worth on this is biggest that will fit in your shop and budget. ... snip... As for the wife...... sneak it in the shop and when she notices it tell her you've had it awhile.......... Or as a second thought pitch it to her by saying you could also start bowling or another pastime that would take you away from home in the evenings........ :cool 2:

I like your thinking a lot and I hadn't thought about it that way, that really drives it home "get the biggest that will fit in your shop" but I will change the end to "screw the budget" LOL.
Very valid points on better with a heavier machine.
I have heard nothing but awesomeness regarding Matt so much so it feels like I know him already, doesn't hurt I'm only two hours up the road from him.
Yes, I keep telling myself I won't need all the tooling up front but then when I start to add up the mandatories.... from dial test indicators, vise, parallels, end mills, chuck, collets, centerdrills, I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but I'm thinking, well, I won't be making one chip without any of these items. I'm sure at some point you're pretty set and only need a tool here and there as the job requires, but wow this first starter kit is painful. I have looked around at other sites that do offer strater kits, but I find myself thinking, why buy twice when I should by quality right up front. Oh, who am I fooling, I'm not telling anyone here anything new they've never heard of or experienced before!

LOL, just how does one "sneak in" a 850 lb. mill with separate 300 lb base into their one car garage? I'm all ears buddy! But yes, gave up bowling 20 years ago and now pretty much hate leaving the house anyway, so I do have an angle there at least LOL. Thanks for your help!

Hi, and welcome.

First, I own neither of these two. However, I'm saving those pennies for the 932M. I own an Atlas horizontal mill and a Jefferson horizontal(converted to vertical mill). I once thought, "This is going to be all I need". Talk about being WRONG!! I'm limited in space too, but the ability to take a bigger cut with a more rigid machine can't be beat. I say save for the 932M. Download the manual and look at the required space for the machine. From memory I believe you need 4'-5' for the table travel.
Best of luck.

Thank you Thunder! Ya I have the manual, for both, can't remember either off the top, but this right here is the point of no return.... I'm going from a functional garage I've used for it's intended purpose, for 20 years, to parking out all winter but having a fun shop finally. Excited but terrified (I hate snow). I'm with you here, I believe I'm going to save for the 932 as well. I'm sure I won't regret this purchase, besides, ya can't take it with you right? The kids can fend for themselves LOL.

FWIW, the basic model of the 932 is a pretty long wait time, when I inquired a few weeks ago. I think like 6 months. Not to say it’s not worth waiting for...
Crap, thanks for the heads up sfsteel. Well, this will give me time to save for the motorized X axis version, and maybe even the full DRO version by then. I don't doubt for a minute that this will be worth the wait. Thanks again!

I’m curious why the 932 instead of the 30V? I’m also trying to pick my first mill and have been leaning toward the 30V.

I would go as big as you can afford better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it while I've only had my 932m a short while I absolutely love it

I’m curious why the 932 instead of the 30V? I’m also trying to pick my first mill and have been leaning toward the 30V.
Good question! Somehow I missed it, thanks! I see that the 30V and 932M are the same price, if that's the case and all things considered relatively even, from everything I've heard I'm going to lean toward bigger/heavier. But I will now seriously vet this machine out too, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Back