PM 727M x axis gib problem.

Strgnhunter

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone,
This is my first post on here, and I need your help. I recently bought a used 727M & 1030V (upgrade from a Grizzly mill/lathe combo).
While installing a x axis power feed on the 727M I accidentally let it feed past the travel limit ( I installed the stops where the old ones were, which must have been incorrectly placed), anyhoo, it pushed the gib out the left side, breaking off the gib screw & immobilizing the table. I managed to get the gib out, removed the table, cleaned & inspected everything ( no damage other than the broken gib screw)
Here’s my problem ; now I can’t put the gib back in far enough to install the right gib screw , if I do the table seizes up. I pulled the gib out, checked it for flatness ....it’s flat, then I slathered it in Dykem, put it back in, doesn’t seem to be rubbing anywhere that I can tell. I’m out of ideas short of making the gib shorter (seems drastic ) I’m hoping someone here can guide me towards a solution. Thanks in advance !

Jim

So,
It seems I’ve even stumped the tech guys at Precision Matthews. There seems to be no reason the gib shouldn’t fit back in, but it doesn’t. Everything is straight, within tolerances, no burrs or dents, I’ve stoned every surface of the ways to make sure there’s nothing catching, same with the gib itself ( not the scraped side )... but the gib just wont go back in as far as it needs to. I would appreciate any suggestions or thoughts.
Thanks in advance !

Jim

Hey Tweinke, .....good thought,
yes, the gib has a notch on the fat (right) side, so I know it’s in right......this one is a real mystery

Thanks Arizonavideo, being a used machine, I discovered that the dowel pins ( along with other parts the previous owner deemed unnecessary) were missing.... new one on the way. The gib slides past the table locks, almost reaching the recess for the left gib screw, but locks the table up past that point And the mystery continues, but I really appreciate the input.

Back