PM-727V or PM-30MV

Maine

Registered
Registered
I've been researching into Bolton Tools, Little Machine Shop, Wholesale Tools, Grizzly, and especially Precision Matthews for months and it seems that Precision Matthews cannot be beaten because of that 3 year warranty and from several comparisons on Youtube and multiple forums across the internet, it seems abundantly clear that Precision Matthews has the best quality control.

With that in mind, I have some electrical limitations for the kind of machine I'm looking for and weight restrictions. I have my work area on the 2nd floor of my house and I do not have access to a 220V outlet. Installing the 220V breaker in the basement and then running the wires to the 2nd floor, it's just out of the question. If the machine weighs more than 800lbs, I don't see any feasible method of getting that machine up the stairs because there is no "safe moving company" that would service Northern Maine, nor any moving or rental service that could provide me a power life hand cart to make the trek up the stairs, within a reasonable distance. I'm more than willing to take the machine apart and then piece it back together on the workbench.

I do however have a possible solution to the 220V problem and perhaps this will help others, there is one contraption that one company came up with, that seems to have some "idiot proofing" built into itself so that you may use "2" 110V outlets (not from the same breaker) to create the necessary 220V, as seen here (without blowing up the breaker box):

Video:

Store Page: http://www.steam-brite.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=electric+car+charger

I want to use the machine for mostly aluminum and polycarbonate materials, which means I need a much higher RPM, I'm also dealing with some very small holes and slots, less than 1mm in diameter, frequently. As much as I would like to have the PM-30MV's 1HP extra, I'm losing 750 RPM from the PM-727V to get it. Is there any "simple" modification to upgrade that motor, while maintaining the variable speed controller, and getting more RPM?

Looking for input on this, I would rather just buy the best machine "the first and only" time.

Precision Matthews gives good advice, call them.

I have the pm727m, I'm happy with it so far. It's a recent purchase and only have a few hours on it. PM has good support, I have two of their machines. The 727 is fairly small, plugs into 110 and is strong for its size. No belts to move, 1700 rpm has been plenty fast for my needs. I work in steel mostly. It handles a 1" drill bit fine Imo. It's my first small bench mill, actually turned out to be stronger than expected. I'm glad I went with it, takes up much less room in my small shop.

What ever you get, the dro is well worth it.

Precision Matthews gives good advice, call them.

I have the pm727m, I'm happy with it so far. It's a recent purchase and only have a few hours on it. PM has good support, I have two of their machines. The 727 is fairly small, plugs into 110 and is strong for its size. No belts to move, 1700 rpm has been plenty fast for my needs. I work in steel mostly. It handles a 1" drill bit fine Imo. It's my first small bench mill, actually turned out to be stronger than expected. I'm glad I went with it, takes up much less room in my small shop.

I figure I'll be calling them next weekend, but I'm concerned about using up carbide end mills much faster if the RPM isn't high enough, not that I should be concerned with polycarbonate, but the aluminum, I am concerned about.

Have you looked into getting a high speed spindle /VFD combo from eBay for a few hundred dollars . Just mount it to the head of either mill and you’ll have all the rpm you need for polycarbonate and probably aluminum too. Those usually all require single phase 220, however, so you’d have to use that stream brite setup to get you there ...

For example : ***however, please note it says the inverter accepts 110 single phase but i’m NOT sure i’d rely on that being accurate !!! Or provide less than desirable performance if it does. I’d look into the model to ensure, and also inquire with the seller what to expect. With regards to performance via 110 vs 220.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1500W-1-5K...hash=item1a3f7becbe:m:mffgt6aqVUAt82pgjRC1Usw

Last edited:
Have you looked into getting a high speed spindle /VFD combo from eBay for a few hundred dollars . Just mount it to the head of either mill and you’ll have all the rpm you need for polycarbonate and probably aluminum too. Those usually all require single phase 220, however, so you’d have to use that stream brite setup to get you there ...

For example : ***however, please note it says the inverter accepts 110 single phase but i’m NOT sure i’d rely on that being accurate !!! Or provide less than desirable performance if it does. I’d look into the model to ensure, and also inquire with the seller what to expect. With regards to performance via 110 vs 220.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1500W-1-5K...hash=item1a3f7becbe:m:mffgt6aqVUAt82pgjRC1Usw

That ebay listing also says that the CNC motor can go up to 24,000 RPM, that seems a bit high if not impossible, but that would be a sight to see lol.

I think to get an idea of how to mount that, I would have to see the machine up close. I haven't found much information about how that works. Thanks for that suggestion.

This also might look familiar:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...28d6-4a23-9e5c-4d9c75f20f80&priceBeautifyAB=4

I personally don't even bother feeding those ebay resellers that just buy from Aliexpress.

Last edited:
That ebay listing also says that the CNC motor can go up to 24,000 RPM, that seems a bit high if not impossible, but that would be a sight to see lol.

I think to get an idea of how to mount that, I would have to see the machine up close. I haven't found much information about how that works. Thanks for that suggestion.
Do a search on YouTube for videos of people using them . 24k rpm is normal , Just don’t expect much torque at all at low rpm. These are meant for small cutters which require high rpm, but that seems to be what you are after. Then just use the PM’s built in for low rpm steel or bigger end mill work when you need more torque. Seems ideal for your needs.

Go with the PM-727V, you are not really giving up 1Hp, because you have more gear selections so the 1 Hp is more optimized over a narrow range of RPMs. Most rooms or areas/outlets will be on one breaker, trying to get two outlets in the same area on different rails of the 240V is going to be difficult without long extension cords. You do not need speeds in the 24K realm, and 1.5kW would need to be on a 20A or 30A 120V circuit. The PM-727V is a lot of mill for the price in a compact footprint/weight. My mill spins to 5K, I have yet to mill anything in aluminum at over 3K. If you were to go CNC, flood coolant, small end mills etc. then yes you would want higher speeds to optimize performance. Polycarbonate, too high RPM an it will melt.

Go with the PM-727V, you are not really giving up 1Hp, because you have more gear selections so the 1 Hp is more optimized over a narrow range of RPMs. Most rooms or areas/outlets will be on one breaker, trying to get two outlets in the same area on different rails of the 240V is going to be difficult without long extension cords. You do not need speeds in the 24K realm, and 1.5kW would need to be on a 20A or 30A 120V circuit. The PM-727V is a lot of mill for the price in a compact footprint/weight. My mill spins to 5K, I have yet to mill anything in aluminum at over 3K. If you were to go CNC, flood coolant, small end mills etc. then yes you would want higher speeds to optimize performance. Polycarbonate, too high RPM an it will melt.

I think the PM-727V does sound better as well

As Mark said above getting 220 could be problematic. The PM-727V sounds like the one for you. The negative for me would be the 6 step changes, mainly because I have a lazy streak that I struggle with at times...my PM-30 stays on the high speed steps even though changes are ridiculously easy.

Just an fyi for anyone interested in the PM-30; I know the specs state 2250 max rpm, however mine spins max at 3004. I don't know if mine is an anomaly or the spec sheet is in error.

As Mark said above getting 220 could be problematic. The PM-727V sounds like the one for you. The negative for me would be the 6 step changes, mainly because I have a lazy streak that I struggle with at times...my PM-30 stays on the high speed steps even though changes are ridiculously easy.

Just an fyi for anyone interested in the PM-30; I know the specs state 2250 max rpm, however mine spins max at 3004. I don't know if mine is an anomaly or the spec sheet is in error.

If it turns out that the PM-30MV is in fact, supposed to be 3000 RPM, I'm going to buy the PM-30MV, because I have direct access to another room through a hole between the rooms that would allow me to easily get the 220V.

Back