PM-727V or PM-30MV

The PM 727V also shows it does 3,000 RPM.

Main Specifications:
Model No.: PM-727V
Max. Drilling Capacity: 1-1/4″
Max. End Milling Capacity: 1″
Max. Face Milling Capacity: 3″
Table Size: 27-1/2″ x 7-1/8″
Cross Travel (Y Axis): 8-1/2″
Longitudinal Travel (X Axis): 15″
Table Leadscrew Pitch 10 TPI (.100″ Per Turn)
Table Dial Graduations .001″
Vertical Travel (Z Axis): 16″
Max Distance Spindle to Table: 18-1/4″
Taper of Spindle: R-8, w/7/16-20 Drawbar Thread
Spindle (Quill) Travel: 3″
T Slot Size: 1/2″(T Slots are slightly less than 1/2″, actual size 12mm, our 1/2″ kit
is sized for this machine)
Range of Spindle Speeds: 40-3000rpm, 6 Steps, variable in each range
Head Tilt: Left & Right ±90°
Motor: 1 HP
Net Weight (Not Including Base): 475 LBS
Net Weight (With Optional Base): 575 LBS
Power Required: 110/120V, Minimum 15 Amp Circuit
Dimensions (Assembled on stand): 39″W x 70″H x 30″D
Height with head at top of Z travel: 76″ (On Stand)
Height with head at normal working height: 71″ (On Stand)
Optional Stand Height 27-5/8″

The PM 727V also shows it does 3,000 RPM.

Main Specifications:
Model No.: PM-727V
Max. Drilling Capacity: 1-1/4″
Max. End Milling Capacity: 1″
Max. Face Milling Capacity: 3″
Table Size: 27-1/2″ x 7-1/8″
Cross Travel (Y Axis): 8-1/2″
Longitudinal Travel (X Axis): 15″
Table Leadscrew Pitch 10 TPI (.100″ Per Turn)
Table Dial Graduations .001″
Vertical Travel (Z Axis): 16″
Max Distance Spindle to Table: 18-1/4″
Taper of Spindle: R-8, w/7/16-20 Drawbar Thread
Spindle (Quill) Travel: 3″
T Slot Size: 1/2″(T Slots are slightly less than 1/2″, actual size 12mm, our 1/2″ kit
is sized for this machine)
Range of Spindle Speeds: 40-3000rpm, 6 Steps, variable in each range
Head Tilt: Left & Right ±90°
Motor: 1 HP
Net Weight (Not Including Base): 475 LBS
Net Weight (With Optional Base): 575 LBS
Power Required: 110/120V, Minimum 15 Amp Circuit
Dimensions (Assembled on stand): 39″W x 70″H x 30″D
Height with head at top of Z travel: 76″ (On Stand)
Height with head at normal working height: 71″ (On Stand)
Optional Stand Height 27-5/8″

Yeah, I knew about that, but for $50 more, another 50lbs of weight, 8" more X-Axis travel, but 1" lost in the Z-axis, I can live with that. I'm going to ask on Monday about the lack of 6 steps just to see how big of a deal that is, but I doubt it is.

I tested the breakers last night just to make sure that both rooms were on a different breaker and they indeed are on separate breakers. Since the machine is going to be drawing about 5 amps from each room, I also checked to see what might become an issue and I have nothing in the next room that would cause any problems, nor in the room where I work. I also tested the outlets, which all read out at 122.1V. Since I'm paranoid about electrical fires, I'm adding a breaker tie so that both breakers will flip if something goes wrong.

I also looked around and I did find out that there is one Sunbelt Rentals location in Bangor that I can use to get that machine up to the second floor without having to take the machine apart:

https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment/detail/1225/0440087/stair-climber-650lb/

I have someone that can spot me as I make the upward climb, just in case, but I'm confident this will be fine.

As for getting it on the bench I built just for this milling machine, Sunbelt also has this engine hoist:

https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment/detail/1134/0730011/engine-hoist/

Which I found out is actually this engine hoist:

http://www.icfinc.com/engine-lifts-tip-tow-ii.html

tip-tow-2-big.jpg

Judging from the photo and measuring the height of the room and the height of the bench, I'm confident that the hoist will clear the machine and the height of the bench and get the machine up there just fine.

About $150 of "moving rental" here, I'll be sure to update this thread when I get the shipment and get everything on the bench.

I just realized have an unexpected problem. I need to remove the table to clear the doorways.

The machine dimensions:

Dimension Front To Back, from back of chip pan, to front table handle tip 31” (Can be pushed back against a wall, and table handle tip will be 31” from wall)
x
Width, Tip to Tip of table handles 46-1/4”
The doorway clearance is 28", which means that the only way to do this at all is to remove the table.

Last edited:
The doorway clearance is 28", which means that the only way to do this at all is to remove the table

Maine, the given dimension is with the chip pan installed, the machine ships without the pan installed. Depth without pan is 28" from back of machine to tip of Y axis handle. Just remove the handle and handwheel (2 minute process at most) and you are down to 24", ample clearance indeed.

Removing the table is not a bad idea anyway, I recommend doing so as a part of the machine clean-up and prep/lube process. I did with mine and although there wasn't a terrible amount of grit/gunk there was still some and I felt much better getting it all out of there. It will add a second trip up the stairs but hauling 530 lbs. up in one shot is a chore I wouldn't look forward to.

Maine, the given dimension is with the chip pan installed, the machine ships without the pan installed. Depth without pan is 28" from back of machine to tip of Y axis handle. Just remove the handle and handwheel (2 minute process at most) and you are down to 24", ample clearance indeed.

Removing the table is not a bad idea anyway, I recommend doing so as a part of the machine clean-up and prep/lube process. I did with mine and although there wasn't a terrible amount of grit/gunk there was still some and I felt much better getting it all out of there. It will add a second trip up the stairs but hauling 530 lbs. up in one shot is a chore I wouldn't look forward to.

Thanks for that correction, I think I will still remove the table anyways just to help with the weight.

You may or may not need to do this, but consider adding some plywood sheets over your existing flooring when you use that engine hoist. It could be enough point load on the wheels that it will go right through your flooring. Hopefully thats overkill, but just thought I'd throw that out there since you've planning everything out with great care already.

Jake

You may or may not need to do this, but consider adding some plywood sheets over your existing flooring when you use that engine hoist. It could be enough point load on the wheels that it will go right through your flooring. Hopefully thats overkill, but just thought I'd throw that out there since you've planning everything out with great care already.

Jake

I've actually been thinking about doing that now for a few weeks, the floor material in that room could use a replacement. I'm already going to be doing something like that anyways because I don't want to mar the floor (more) from doing this.

Interesting plan to use two different phase 120v receptacles. Just to be clear, you will be drawing 10 amps from each circuit. The load is not split in half by this method. I don't see an inherent safety issue with this method but it is certainly not to "code"! I am not sure about tying the breaker handles together. Maybe someone else has a thought on that? If one breaker tripped the other side of the circuit would still be hot at 120v above ground potential so I guess it is a good idea to connect them.
Robert

Interesting plan to use two different phase 120v receptacles. Just to be clear, you will be drawing 10 amps from each circuit. The load is not split in half by this method. I don't see an inherent safety issue with this method but it is certainly not to "code"! I am not sure about tying the breaker handles together. Maybe someone else has a thought on that? If one breaker tripped the other side of the circuit would still be hot at 120v above ground potential so I guess it is a good idea to connect them.
Robert

That's the reason I'm tying them together, I would rather they both flipped and not have a potentially bad situation.

Back