PM-727V or PM-30MV

Why not run 220 volt to the machine? A roll of 10-2 wire with ground is not that expensive, add a beaker or two in the nearest existing panel. Use a 220 dryer or air conditioner receptacle in the wall. If the exterior service panel is near the room you could run some conduit up an outside wall into the room. If its not your house you could temporarily use an existing 110 outlet and change it to 220, pull the right wire to the existing outlet hole.

Regardless, you want to minimize the distance or length of cords to the machine and use quality 12 gauge HD extension cords if you have to. It probably would be cheaper to run romex though.

I use an exterior rated 10 guage cord through my attic to feed my 220 compressor. That stuff ain't cheap either, but I got it for free off an electrician friend. I just dropped it down from the ceiling to a wall mounted disconnect. Very thick black rubber jacket, looks like the same stuff my 50 amp RV cord is made from.

Why not run 220 volt to the machine? A roll of 10-2 wire with ground is not that expensive, add a beaker or two in the nearest existing panel. Use a 220 dryer or air conditioner receptacle in the wall. If the exterior service panel is near the room you could run some conduit up an outside wall into the room. If its not your house you could temporarily use an existing 110 outlet and change it to 220, pull the right wire to the existing outlet hole.

Regardless, you want to minimize the distance or length of cords to the machine and use quality 12 gauge HD extension cords if you have to. It probably would be cheaper to run romex though.

I use an exterior rated 10 guage cord through my attic to feed my 220 compressor. That stuff ain't cheap either, but I got it for free off an electrician friend. I just dropped it down from the ceiling to a wall mounted disconnect. Very thick black rubber jacket, looks like the same stuff my 50 amp RV cord is made from.

The breaker box and the room I work in are separated by 2 floors, if I was putting the machine in the basement, I would just wire it myself, but we have a radon problem and as much as I trust that the mitigator is working, I wouldn't want to be down there for a long period of time.

I just ordered the PM-30MV machine, at long last. I also ordered the T-Slot Clamp kit, because I don't want to "guess" on Amazon/Aliexpress/eBay.

I also wanted to make a note that I painfully regret I could not buy a bridgeport, because I had the opportunity to get one from an auction for less than $500.

I also wanted to note that while I was looking at other machines, I came upon a Jet JMD-18 for $850, but I watched it run in real life and it shook way too much on a light cut. The handwheels felt like you would tire yourself out after a few minutes of work without X-Axis power feed. Overall, I definitely wasn't impressed.

Last edited:
Don't be surprised if the T-Slot nuts in your set have to be machined slightly to fit the table. It looks like the PM30MV has 14mm
slots and the kit is 9/16" which seems to be just slightly larger than 14mm. I have the PM727M which has 12mm slots which were
slightly smaller than the 1/2" kit I got. Not a big deal, it gave me my first milling project... :)

Don't be surprised if the T-Slot nuts in your set have to be machined slightly to fit the table. It looks like the PM30MV has 14mm
slots and the kit is 9/16" which seems to be just slightly larger than 14mm. I have the PM727M which has 12mm slots which were
slightly smaller than the 1/2" kit I got. Not a big deal, it gave me my first milling project... :)

I'm gonna be mad if that is true, because I could have gotten them for half on Aliexpress...

My PM-30MV arrives on Wednesday!

I have a question, I know that the PM-30MV needs a 220V outlet, but which one, there seems to be 5 different NEMA specifications. If someone could share with me a picture of what their machine's plug looks like, that would be most helpful!

350px-NEMA_simplified_pins.svg.png

I don’t know if it is the case with your mill, but I think a lot of 220v machines arrive without a plug so you can get what matches your outlet.

I don’t know if it is the case with your mill, but I think a lot of 220v machines arrive without a plug so you can get what matches your outlet.

Oh that would be great, thank you, I just want to buy correctly the first time.

I would still ask Matt or see if anyone who has one replies to be sure.

Get one rated for 20 amps or so, we just bought some twist lock receps and matching plugs off eBay cheap. Much cheaper than Lowe's. Most hardware stores have a selection of 220 volt stuff if you need it fast. You can get a 220 plug for clothes dryers almost anywhere, those work fine too. I like the twist lock though, I can mount those in the ceiling above the machines with no issues.

Back