PM-728VT - DRO options?

Lotus54

Registered
Registered
I have been looking at the PM-728VT (I got a PM1030V a bit ago and very happy with it).
One of the things I am not clear about, is there a way to get the quill/spindle DRO summed with the head DRO and show up on the ‘main’ screen?

I have no clue if the built in quill DRO has an output that could be summed or not.
Sorry if already answered, I did search. (Or if it just a dumb question)

Last edited:
It cannot, you would need to change it for a magnetic type scale and also need a display that can sum the inputs if that is the goal. I never found it necessary when I had my benchtop mill, I only used the X and Y, and I had separate quill DRO that was a stand alone type. I do have an EL700 four axis on my knee mill and the quill and knee is summed "S", nice feature but I only use the quill for the majority of the depth cuts. PM/QMT only sells 3 axis DRO's. Another option may be the Touch DRO which has numerous functions. I wouldn't over think the need to sum the axis, in particular with that sized mill.

1686103184315.png

Thanks for the real world experience.
I wont worry about it then.

Touch DRO can do that. I like that feature, due to if I have to move the head I can get back to my original position.

I had 3 axis touch DRO on the 728 for a few months. I ordered the mill without a DRO as they were in stock. I just added magnetic scales to the lathe and with just an additional read head I was able to add the a 4th axis to the mill for Z and W summing. I had previously added a power Z to the mill and I used the Z for course moves and I would use the quill to dial in the last few thou. Now that they sum together this should be easier. I had previously added a quill stop so I modified that bracket and added a bracket in the head. I had planned to replace the original quill DRO but nothing had interference issues so I left it as a backup. I still need to route the cabling a bit better and install the quill knob.
PXL_20230702_044435303.jpg

Back