PM-728VT spindle chatter.

akschu

Registered
Registered
Anyone else have their spindle chatter? Mine rattles pretty good now. The play is in the splines where they engage the collar that has the belt pully. Half of the rotation it's pretty tight and the pulley and collet are tight, the other half of the rotation there is a few degrees of rotational play. When the machine is running unloaded, it rattles a lot.

Should I contact PM about this? Or is it normal?

My pm30mv started rattling at one point. At first I was frustrated because PM couldn’t really describe the potential problems or tell me what to look at. I had to dig in and figure it out. It didn’t take me long to realize that there was no other way to deal with it, and that it wasn’t particularly complicated. Mine had a loose bearing locknut and needed a shim at the top of the quill if I remember correctly. PM sent some new parts and I added a 3d printed shim. It’s been fine since.

I have a 728 with minimal hours. Definitely not doing what you have described. Good luck

Anyone else have their spindle chatter? Mine rattles pretty good now. The play is in the splines where they engage the collar that has the belt pully. Half of the rotation it's pretty tight and the pulley and collet are tight, the other half of the rotation there is a few degrees of rotational play. When the machine is running unloaded, it rattles a lot.

I'd shoot a video of it with your phone and send a copy to PM. That'll give them a better idea of the chatter noise level and rpm range.

Although it sounds excessive, I believe to some degree the clearance is normal. I just started poking around mine after seeing this thread and although it's pretty quiet with a collet in place spinning freely, I can hold the pulley stationary and see and hear rotational play when manipulating the spindle. Ideally I'd expect it to be minimal, to undetectable, like what is observed when inserting CV axle joint splines into the hub on a car. It's not clear to me but I suppose the mating splines for the spindle are in the spindle sleeve.

The one time it became troublesome for me, is with a 3", 5 tooth face mill. That extra spline clearance sounds off in a choppy, clack, clack rhythm until the speed is increased enough to tune it out, by engaging the next blade before the face mill has a chance to spring forward.

I'd like to hear PM's take on it and perhaps a video of what you are experiencing posted here would be helpful also.

I believe I recall reading about someone else's experience regarding this, and that member corrected it, now that I think about it, it may be necessary to disassemble the spindle and address a set screw, I'll see if I can find the thread.

I get it on my 833TV and usually a speed change will take care of it. Some combos of speed, depth of cut, cutting tool, material being cut, climb or conventional can manifest in the rattle, and usually enough of a change in one or 2 parameters smooths it out.

Back