PM 835S Power Drawbar

wvnitroman

Registered
Registered
So, has anyone installed a power drawbar on a PM 835S? Why would anyone want a power drawbar you ask? The first "big" project I'm doing is going to require an end mill and a drill bit for each step. It is a very odd shaped part and when I get it where I want it I don't want to move it until the job is completed. A power drawbar will save me a ton of time since I'll need a collet for one step and a drill chuck for the other. If you have installed a power drawbar on a 835S I would appreciate some pictures and information. TIA!!!

God Bless,
Kevin

I would also like to design or buy one. Most likely buy because I am using my 835 at my business now and am plenty busy. I was leaning towards the torque rite from Maxi.

I was going to call them this week to see what would fit that particular machine.

I work in a shop that has 5 mills with Kurt power draw bars, 3 are R8 spindle Bridgeport and 2 are CAT 40 spindle Trak.

They work well and last for years, the draw bars have to be replaced on occasion, the small 7/16 threads on the BP's more often then the 5/8-11 40 taper machines. They are fairly loud in use being just an air impact wrench without the square drive.

https://www.mscdirect.com/industrialtools/kurt-power-drawbar-accessories.html

Huge time saver for multiple operations. I do have two integrated R8 chucks (one keyed the other is keyless) that have low TIR and I often use for multiple cutters, but just can't beat a power drawbar. Prior to going that route I used my ER-32 collet system.

I use the Maxi Torque-Rite on my mill, very happy with it and takes about 30 minutes to install. Comes with everything you need to install including the regulator and lubricating oil. Might give them a call as they can make custom drawbars, etc. The price is pretty much the same between vendors. Noise wise it is quieter than my air tools, I did find that if you have a wimpy air compressor, it may not have enough air flow for it to work properly. AT least it was a good excuse to get a bigger compressor.

Being 5' 7" it would be a joke for me to manually do the drawbar, and probably fall off the step stool I would need.

So, has anyone installed a power drawbar on a PM 835S? Why would anyone want a power drawbar you ask? The first "big" project I'm doing is going to require an end mill and a drill bit for each step. It is a very odd shaped part and when I get it where I want it I don't want to move it until the job is completed. A power drawbar will save me a ton of time since I'll need a collet for one step and a drill chuck for the other. If you have installed a power drawbar on a 835S I would appreciate some pictures and information. TIA!!!

God Bless,
Kevin
I designed and built a power drawbar for a PM-835S. The big problem was that I wanted it to work no matter where the quill was. I solved this by using two pneumatic cylinders to drive the HF driver down linear shafts as far as it could go and to make sure the impact wrench never fired up until it contacted the drawbar. It was tricky but it worked. It does save me a ton of time as the mill is WAY taller than I am.

I designed and built a power drawbar for a PM-835S. The big problem was that I wanted it to work no matter where the quill was. I solved this by using two pneumatic cylinders to drive the HF driver down linear shafts as far as it could go and to make sure the impact wrench never fired up until it contacted the drawbar. It was tricky but it worked. It does save me a ton of time as the mill is WAY taller than I am.
Pictures?

I use a HF electric ratchet....but then I am 6’2” and have no problem reaching up high enough....

Back