Pm-932 Cnc Conversion Build

techbuilder

Registered
Registered
Shop_1.jpg

Hi everybody.

I thought I would start the Journey of my build based on the recommendation from TomS.

I've listed some of the parts I have down below and a list of what I need to finish the build.

Parts Purchased:
2x 1600 oz Stepper motors for the X and Y axis
2x 60v 350 watt power supply for the steppers
3x KL-8070D Digital Bipolar Stepper Motor Driver-32 bit DSP Based
1x SmoothStepper CNC Motion Controller
3x 6061 Aluminum for the motor mounts

Parts Needed:
1x Nema 42 4200 oz Stepper motor for the Z axis
2x DQ2722MA 220V power supply/stepper controller if needed for the Z axis if the KL-8070D doesn't work
3x RM2005 Ballscrews with dual ball nut.
3x Double Diaphragm Coupler

If there's anything I'm missing please feel free to let me know.

Shop_1.jpg

Shop_1.jpg

Shop_1.jpg

Shop_1.jpg

Shop_1.jpg

Awesome, another PM932 build.

Additional items:

Breakout board (BoB) to interface between the smooth stepper, steppers and computer. (I highly recommend the PMDX products. I have the PMDX-126 BoB & Ethernet Smooth Stepper)

Enclosure for your electronics.

Cables & connectors for the stepper motors.

A/C bearings or BK/BF bearing blocks for the ball screws.

Are you free hanging the Z-axis ball screw or supporting the lower end? (additional hardware required if supporting)

Do you want the computer to start and stop the spindle? (May require a relay if your BoB does not have one to use.)

Are you doing a one-shot oiler system? (Requires one-shot oil pump, fittings, tubing, a manifold and prepping the machine for it.)

At some point you will want to improve the way covers. The stock ones don't seem to hold up and collect chips. Okay for manual machining but not CNC.

We're not that far apart so if you need a hand with something or want to take a look at my setup let me know, I'd be glad to help.

With your list and jbolt's list you should have everything you need to build your machine. You will also need a computer, motion control software (Mach3 or 4, or Linux), a CAD program, and a CAM program. When it comes to CAD/CAM there is a lot to choose from. Prices start at "free" and get into the thousands. For info I use eMachineShop (free) for simple 2D and 2.5D drawings and Fusion 360 (free) for 3D, modeling and complex parts. For CAM I use CamBam. Fusion 360 also has built in CAM.

Good luck with your build. Remember, we are here to help you work through your project.

Tom S.

Breakout board (BoB) to interface between the smooth stepper, steppers and computer. (I highly recommend the PMDX products. I have the PMDX-126 BoB & Ethernet Smooth Stepper)

I'll check out that breakout board, I have an older one I forgot to include but it's certainly outdated.

Enclosure for your electronics.

That one is checked off as well, I'm using an old atx case that I stripped and made it into a control panel (well started to lol)

Cables & connectors for the stepper motors.
Still figuring out which ones to use have any recommendations?

A/C bearings or BK/BF bearing blocks for the ball screws.
Haven't figured those out yet which ones did you use for yours?

Are you free hanging the Z-axis ball screw or supporting the lower end? (additional hardware required if supporting)
I'll be supporting the lower end with a gas spring to prevent loss of steps during boring operations.

Do you want the computer to start and stop the spindle? (May require a relay if your BoB does not have one to use.)
Yep, so I'll be including an SSR.

Are you doing a one-shot oiler system? (Requires one-shot oil pump, fittings, tubing, a manifold and prepping the machine for it.)
Yes, I definitely want to, that's an area I have to research more into.

At some point you will want to improve the way covers. The stock ones don't seem to hold up and collect chips. Okay for manual machining but not CNC.
I saw the way you did it on your build thread and I will definitely be changing mine. It's already an issue with the vice I have so I can't wait to pull those off.

We're not that far apart so if you need a hand with something or want to take a look at my setup let me know, I'd be glad to help.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it!

With your list and jbolt's list you should have everything you need to build your machine. You will also need a computer, motion control software (Mach3 or 4, or Linux), a CAD program, and a CAM program. When it comes to CAD/CAM there is a lot to choose from. Prices start at "free" and get into the thousands. For info I use eMachineShop (free) for simple 2D and 2.5D drawings and Fusion 360 (free) for 3D, modeling and complex parts. For CAM I use CamBam. Fusion 360 also has built in CAM.

Good luck with your build. Remember, we are here to help you work through your project.

Tom S.

The computer is checked off and I currently have Mach 3 since I've had a cnc router in the past.

For the power supply for the Z axis 4200oz stepper motor which should I use in order to use my KL-8070D 80VDC/7A Digital Stepper Driver?
Or will I have to get a completely new stepper driver for the z-axis?

Thank you guys for the help so far I really appreciate it!:)

The computer is checked off and I currently have Mach 3 since I've had a cnc router in the past.

For the power supply for the Z axis 4200oz stepper motor which should I use in order to use my KL-8070D 80VDC/7A Digital Stepper Driver?
Or will I have to get a completely new stepper driver for the z-axis?

Thank you guys for the help so far I really appreciate it!:)

I did a quick search on eBay and you can get a stand alone power supply for about $35. There are more than 800 PS listed so you will have to sort through to find the one that fits your needs. Or you can go with a DQ2722M from Wantai Motor. About $165 for a combo driver/power supply. That's what I have but then again I didn't have a usable driver sitting on the shelf. Here's the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Cut-Nem...449292?hash=item1e766685cc:g:4qkAAOxyoeBSCfPs

Tom S.

I did a quick search on eBay and you can get a stand alone power supply for about $35. There are more than 800 PS listed so you will have to sort through to find the one that fits your needs. Or you can go with a DQ2722M from Wantai Motor. About $165 for a combo driver/power supply. That's what I have but then again I didn't have a usable driver sitting on the shelf. Here's the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Cut-Nem...449292?hash=item1e766685cc:g:4qkAAOxyoeBSCfPs

Tom S.
What's the voltage and wattage I would need if you don't mind me asking for the power supply?

I'll check out that breakout board, I have an older one I forgot to include but it's certainly outdated.

That one is checked off as well, I'm using an old atx case that I stripped and made it into a control panel (well started to lol)

Still figuring out which ones to use have any recommendations?

Haven't figured those out yet which ones did you use for yours?

I'll be supporting the lower end with a gas spring to prevent loss of steps during boring operations.

Yep, so I'll be including an SSR.

Yes, I definitely want to, that's an area I have to research more into.

I saw the way you did it on your build thread and I will definitely be changing mine. It's already an issue with the vice I have so I can't wait to pull those off.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it!

This is the cable I use. https://www.mcmaster.com/#8082k83/=15c7cjv

I originally used some inexpensive 18-4 shielded cable off ebay but the outer sheathing didn't stand up to the flood coolant so I switched to a more appropriate cable.

For panel connectors I am using 16mm aviation plugs like these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-Aviati...528592?hash=item281c2eea90:g:k5oAAOSwyDxXhSXO

I used the BK/BF bearing blocks. They need a little TLC out of the box to make sure the bearing cap retaining screws are long enough and the A/C bearing are usually installed wrong. My build thread has info on how to get them setup properly and adjust the bearing pre-load.

Where are you putting the gas spring?

Since you had a CNC router I'm assuming you have home/limit switched figured in?

This is the cable I use. https://www.mcmaster.com/#8082k83/=15c7cjv

I originally used some inexpensive 18-4 shielded cable off ebay but the outer sheathing didn't stand up to the flood coolant so I switched to a more appropriate cable.

For panel connectors I am using 16mm aviation plugs like these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-Aviati...528592?hash=item281c2eea90:g:k5oAAOSwyDxXhSXO

I used the BK/BF bearing blocks. They need a little TLC out of the box to make sure the bearing cap retaining screws are long enough and the A/C bearing are usually installed wrong. My build thread has info on how to get them setup properly and adjust the bearing pre-load.
Sweet thank you so much! I'm going to order them today.

Where are you putting the gas spring?

I'll be attaching them to the head similar to this method used
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/motor-for-pm-45-hand-crank.10056/

Since you had a CNC router I'm assuming you have home/limit switched figured in?
Yes

Just for clarification, I used (1) BK15 & (1) BF15 on the X-axis (both ends supported). (1) BK15 on the Y-axis (far end not supported). (1) FK15 on the Z-axis. The lower end of the z-axis ball screw was machined for a 15mm ID bearing and the bottom of the screw is supported by a 15MM ID thrust bearing. I was not comfortable hanging the head by the end of the ball screw.

I did not use struts on the head. With the 4200 in.oz stepper there has never been an issue with missing steps even with aggressive drilling or Z moves.

Back