Pm-932 Cnc Conversion Build

Direct drive vs belt driven, which do you prefer and why?

Mine is direct drive. I could have gone with belt drives but it was no more expensive to buy larger steppers than three pulleys and belts. Motor guards were easier to make too.

Tom S.

If I had more room in my shop I probably would have gone direct drive because it is simpler to do. I used belt drive on the X & Y to keep the overall envelope of the machine as small as possible. With the belt drive I like not having the stepper hanging out front. The motor covers a a little more complicated but I like the way it turned out. It also keeps my coolant enclosure smaller.

Mine is direct drive. I could have gone with belt drives but it was no more expensive to buy larger steppers than three pulleys and belts. Motor guards were easier to make too.

Tom S.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, I'll end up going that route since it will be the easiest to get going.

If I had more room in my shop I probably would have gone direct drive because it is simpler to do. I used belt drive on the X & Y to keep the overall envelope of the machine as small as possible. With the belt drive I like not having the stepper hanging out front. The motor covers a a little more complicated but I like the way it turned out. It also keeps my coolant enclosure smaller.

Valid points as well

Back