PM-932 Conversion - First Milestone

cjones6108

Registered
Registered
So after many months of ordering stuff and getting other projects laid to rest, I've at last managed a step of serious progress. Many thanks to JBolt and TomS for sharing their conversion experiences, photos and parts drawings -- They have been indispensable.

Tonight I connected the final wires to complete the mill controller, plugged in the steppers, connected the CPU and finally, the power. Finger on switch ... [ drum roll ] ... click ... ... ... Nothing blew up, definitely a good sign. I hadn't plugged in the monitor, mouse or keyboard, so grabbed the laptop to remote access the CPU, a Raspberry PI with the auxiliary CNC Hat board (shown in the photo sitting loose on the table top, but mounted on a little shelf which is ready to be mounted inside the enclosure). Did some simple testing, and the steppers all turned when they were supposed to, and didn't when they shouldn't, so I'm declaring this step a success. I built the enclosure, just because I'm stubborn and all the suitable enclosures I found were ridiculously expensive. Time-wise, I'm sure I didn't save anything. I'm sure I won't get many points for neatness, but hey, I'm going to mount a door (with a vent) on it and latch it closed.

Now to really get serious making the parts to mount the steppers and ball screws. I've only got one made so far, but again, thanks to JBolt I have good drawings to work from.
IMG_20180708_222021345.jpg

Looks like great progress. Keep Sharing.

Looking good! You will be making chips in no time.

I would provide plenty of ventilation, maybe a fan too, you'll be dissipating some watts there
mark

I would provide plenty of ventilation, maybe a fan too, you'll be dissipating some watts there
mark
It's kind of in the shadow, but in the photo the fan is in the upper left corner, and on the door of the enclosure I cut an opening and covered it with two or three layers of window screen. In operation then, it will draw cool air in from the bottom across all the components and exhaust it out the top.

Back