PM-932 T-Nuts

abrace

Registered
Registered
All,

Finally got my mill on the stand and on my dolly. Trying to figure out T-Nuts now. I tried some 9/16 T-Nuts w/ 1/2" studs and they wont go into the slots. My slots are measuring out at about .540 wide, or about 13.7mm. The 9/16 T-Nuts are just a little too wide. My guess is 14mm T-nuts will be too small too, assuming they are really 14mm wide and not 14mm nominal. I am willing to try them, but don't want to throw good money after bad.

Should I step down to 1/2" T-Nuts w 3/8 studs? Don't want things to be too loose and sloppy.

My slots are measuring out at about .540 wide, or about 13.7mm..... My guess is 14mm T-nuts will be too small too, assuming they are really 14mm wide and not 14mm nominal.

I'm confused, if your T-slots are measuring 13.7mm, how would 14mm T-nuts be too small?

I don't have a PM932 but I do have a PM45. My T-slots measure 14.00mm. I have 14mm T-nuts from Mcmaster, they measure from 13.75mm to 13.8mm & fit my slots good. All my other T-nuts are self made or 5/8" T-nuts that were milled down. When I make my own I make them .550" & they fit my slots perfect. The clamping kit that came with my mill was 5/8" & I'm glad. I prefer the 1/2" studs over the 3/8" studs.

I would think your slots would be 14.00mm also. Did you trying measuring in more than one area & more than one slot? Check for burrs?

Sorry, I meant that I think the slot may still be too small for 14mm T-Nuts.

I did measure in more than one area. I havent finished cleaning the mill completely so maybe some casting sand is making the slots measure a little small.

One thing is for sure though...the 9/16" T-Nuts I got from McMaster wont go in the slot w/o a sledge hammer :)

Ah I see. Yeah, no go on 9/16" T-nuts, well I never tried them on my T-slots but I have a table mount work stop that came in 9/16", it almost fit, I had to kiss it ever so slightly with an endmill.

But anyway, congrats on getting your mill standing! And now that it is, why not just mill your 9/16" T-nuts to fit rather than buying new ones?

If the bolt size is OK, cut the t-nuts down until they fit. It is an easy job. It is better not to make them too snug fitting or they will hang up on the eventual dings in the T-slots.

If the bolt size is OK, cut the t-nuts down until they fit. It is an easy job.
It is better not to make them too snug fitting or they will hang up on the eventual dings in the T-slots.

IF YOU HAVE DECENT T-NUTS , THEY ARE CASE HARDENED AND WILL BE A BEAR TO CUT .
CARBIDE CAN DO IT . HIGH SPEED STEEL MAY NOT BE UP TO THE TASK .

I didn't even consider milling them down because I assumed they were hardened. I will give that a shot once I figure out how to turn the mill on. :)

I didn't even consider milling them down because I assumed they were hardened. I will give that a shot once I figure out how to turn the mill on. :)

Try cutting one with the edge of a file. If it is hard the file will skate on the surface. If not it will cut.

I guess it depends on the t nuts I bought a 1/2 clamp set for my adjustable angle plate and they were all oversized or had big burrs from grinding and I had to mill them all to fit the slots

I like to make my own t-nuts. The factory ones never fit my table slots the way I want them to. I am not at all concerned with hardening them. In my home shop they will last multiple lifetimes...

Back