Pm-932 vs PM-30

Thanks, the y axis travel gave me a bit of pause, but I did some measurements and what-if’d the parts and mounting and I’m pretty sure it will work for me. I did look at the pm40 and I know it’s more machine, but knowing how my mind works after many years of saying to myself “ it’s only this much more”, I reeled myself in. My wife puts it like this, I could go car shopping for a Fiat and come home with a Ferrari ‘cause it was just a bit more (largely exaggerated)

Mkjs, thanks for your time and help. The 932 is in the shop and I’m already convinced that a bit of r.p.m. control would be nice...So, I called QMT, and have a 2hp 220v 3-phase motor on the way, they said warranty issues, baring spinning it past 2300 or so isn’t an issue, so I’m sold. Reading through the many threads, it was mentioned you may have a parts list of things to make it beyond the basics of the vfd? It would be nice not to need to reinvent the wheel, and I’ve read some threads of installs, but want to have all parts in-hand before I move ahead. I purchased a teco L510-202-H1-U from marshal-wolf, super helpful company, just looking for what I need to fill the gaps.
Thanks in advance
David

I am starting to make car restoration and performance mod parts for american muscle cars and bought the PM-940 CNC....

My comment would be GET THE VFD. The ability to linearly change spindle speed up/down instead of gear/pulley changes is a big improvement. Plus if you ever go CNC via an Acorn board, this is the set up IMO. The 3 phase motor down stream of VFD controller is super smooth and the finish machine quality is often called out vs. single phase.

Just my view and worth what you paid for it.

Rick, I’m with you, parts are on the way. Well, the motor and VFD. Where do you keep your gearing with a vfd? I read one thread where they were talking about belts on drill presses, but haven’t found info on gear head.
David

David. I have a Delta VFD that drives my PM-940 mill. The spindle has a high and low gear setting. I have left mine in high, and the VFD goes as low as 300 rpm to 3100 rpm on this range. I have not tried the low setting but believe it drops by ratio of 2 so it should be 150 rpm to 1550 rpm on the VFD's 0 V to 10 V input.

So far, I have no need to change the gear setting - just leave in high and change spindle speed via the CNC program or with the Centroid Remote control RPG. The RGP can overide a running CNC program's set spindle speed as needed (i.e. like for some of my early CNC programs :) )

Rick, that’s helpful thanks. This vfd thing has been a mystery to me until I found the info here, and watched some really well done YouTube’s on how and what they did. Seems like a no-brainer to install, it would have been a nice additional option from QMS,

PM-932 has 6 speed gearbox, requirements are a bit different for CNC, but agree with benefits of VFD. There are previous threads with details, but may be hard to find.

If you do not have a CNC motion controller, isn't easy to wire? Take your 220 1 phase to the VFD controller and the 3 Phase 220V out is wired to 3PH motor.... There is no 0-10V input signal and you simply change speed with the VFD speed knob? Attached is wiring for my Delta VFD if I was going to use manual speed control (i.e. no CNC controller or RPG remote).

1538095223590.png

Thanks Rick, the threads I read here, and bits and pieces of what I found in them was related to altering the stock control buttons on the panel to work the vfd. I don’t mind starting simple, and working my way to a more complex convenient setup. I would like to, use an r.p.m. display. Some of the setups used a proximity type and they didn’t use the magnetic sensor or maybe I missed it, us but programmed the The vfd to read it. There is a good chance I misunderstood that

Last edited:
Back