Pm-932m-pdf

I don't have anything worthwhile to add, but I thought I'd chime in. I have a 932 as well, but I've yet to take any serious time to check out my Z gib. I appreciate you guys looking into it and posting your findings/solutions.

.022" is huge. Makes me want to throw an indicator in my spindle and check it against my column as well. My initial thoughts would be that it's a head-to-column issue. Shimming between the head and the column would be a bear though.

Just to clarify, which surface are you indicating against on your column?

Last night I removed the gib. It was .309 on the top and .219 0n the bottom. I started wit a .020 shim but it was to tight. ended up at .011 and this took care of that problem. Next problem, with an indicator mounted in a collet and the indicator on the face of the column I am getting a difference of .o22 from top to bottom when extending the spindle. The bottom is closer than the top. What should be my next step?

Did you try the feeler gauge method I suggested in my post above? It would be interesting to know what the clearance is at the top of the Z saddle. I thought I had my gib adjusted correctly until I checked the top clearance. Had .012" clearance. You might also try Bill Miller's method mentioned above. There's a lot of weight you have to overcome to get the proper gib adjustment.

Tom S

I used Bills method and believe I have the gib adjusted correctly. I was indicating on the larger machined surface of the column and getting a difference of .022 between the spindle all the way up and all the way down.

I used Bills method and believe I have the gib adjusted correctly. I was indicating on the larger machined surface of the column and getting a difference of .022 between the spindle all the way up and all the way down.

Have you removed the head and Z axis slide and checked for burrs and measured the mounting surfaces for parallelism? Just thinking out loud.

Tom S

That's going to be my next move when I get home tonight TomS

That's going to be my next move when I get home tonight TomS

Have you made any progress in identifying the cause of your "nod" issue? I'm curious and want to hear that you've solved the problem.

Tom S

Same deal for me, adjuster is all the way in and it still has some slop and definitely no drag. Keep us posted!

Alex

I don't understand why you are using the Z axis. I set the Z axis "close", lock it down, and then use the fine adjustment on the quill, been doing it that way since day one with my 932.
The Z axis does move some when you lock it down but if you tram your machine with the Z locked then it doesn't matter how much it moves.

Back