PM-940 CNC VS Converted to Acorn

Rickwjenn

Registered
Registered
First thanks to pburgh, cut2cut, phazertwo - all the info you guys shared was very valuable as I read and re-read then went to work...

Got my PM-940CNC VS a few weeks ago. Spent one day looking the nMotion controller and the terrible documentation and ordered the Acorn.

Rewired all the home and limit switches to be NC and got a new NC E-Stop Switch.

"Bench" tested with the Acorn on the bench and jumpers running to the Stepper Drives as first step.

Then mounted Meanwell RD-RD35B where the nMotion was and used 10-32 threaded rod to build a stand off mount for the Acorn.

Getting the spindle motor running took the most time and I eventually pulled the relays and when direct from Acorn to the Delta VFD - that did the trick and out came the relays and their wiring...

Bought Fusion360 and am going to start making some simple parts for my muscle cars and my dads '58 chevy truck. With the mill and my Miller MIG, Miller TIG, and all my handtools I feel like I can fab just about anything. Sheet metal brake and sheer is next tool!

Here come the pictures....

Here is the Acorn in it is new home

Acorn_Closeup.JPG

Acorn_Installed_1.JPG

One of the cars I am going to make simple brackets, linkage, etc. for - 1967 Camaro 396 4 speed. I have two engines - the original number matching one that is mildly modified and another big block for all out hot rodding. Two trans as well - the original M-22 and a Jerico that can be punished. I can get the engine and trans out of the camaro in about 45 minutes as most work is simply easier with the powertrain OUT. Loves these old cars - 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, and 5/8 inch tools get 90% of the fasteners and one 12v hot line + gas and it starts and runs!

Where_The_Parts_Are_Going.JPG

Awesome! That looks like a great project. I have an 833T mill that I have been thinking about doing a CNC convert on.

Is that a Ferrari in the foreground?

7milesup - are you pilot? Very cool.

The 833T is a great mill and I was going to get it but it was back ordered. Then the deal on a PM-940 CNC was offered on a unit in stock. I bought it the next day!

Yes, I am a pilot. My avatar is the type of aircraft I flew the longest which was about 14 years or so. It is a Hawker 800XP. Lovely flying aircraft. I retired early due to a medical condition, so now I play with metal working, radio control aircraft, and whatever else piques my interest ;)
Just found out while attending the Oshkosh airshow this past week that I might be able to get back into flying just for fun. WOOT!

7milesup - nice! It has to be a lifetime experience to be the Oshkosh airshow! Maybe you be in the air again soon sir.

Back