PM-940 CNC VS Converted to Acorn

Just read through this on the Acron board. Good stuff. Glad that the other 940-Acorn guys and I were able to help.

How did you wire the VFD with out the relays. I seem to remember that I needed them... I would love to use them for other stuff though!

Thanks,

Continuing to make some good progress. While I am learning Fusion 360, I am writing more G Code programs to get the feel of the machine and creating tool paths. Got the head lined up better with the table - it was sagging .

Was pretty impressed (for a newbie) after aligning the vise fixed face to be parallel with the x axis:

Next I did a practice run for a power steering actuator bracket for my dad's 58 Chevy truck street rod. Pretty simple clamp to go around 2.5 inch cylinder. I wrote a simple G code program to cut the 180 degree arc with offset for a 0.5" end mill. Played around with cutting as little as 0.01" in depth per pass to 0.1". Once I make the part in Fusion 360, I will use this learning to see how many passes to make. Going to make one out of mild steel as well.

Hey Rick,
Glad to see things are coming along for you. And, I see you got the remote. That makes things very convenient. Are you still running the steppers at the original setup of 1600? If you saw Keith's post, he recommends at least 2000. I had to set mine to 3200 because I couldn't get the Y axis to dial in consistently at 2000. The other 2, no issue. I know that sounds weird, but it happened like that. It runs smoother at 3200, and I don't know that it lost enough torque to make it an issue. And I don't see any struggle with the Z going up.

Take care,
Doug

Doug - thanks. No on my first runs the actual distance traveled was off from machine steps/machine measurements. Knew something was wrong. The motors were on 2000 steps / rev from the Leadshine profile. I looked up that settings should 3200 and it works great. I put 3200 steps / rev on all axis and so not an issue. I did this part from Fusion 360 all the way to the milling and it out exactly on the geometry to at least 0.002". I didn't try to measure any more accurately.

My Z axis flies up and and down with the only issue it will creep down on power down unless I set drag on the head with the locking screws.

Tool_Holder_2.JPG

Doug - thanks. No on my first runs the actual distance traveled was off from machine steps/machine measurements. Knew something was wrong. The motors were on 2000 steps / rev from the Leadshine profile. I looked up that settings should 3200 and it works great. I put 3200 steps / rev on all axis and so not an issue. I did this part from Fusion 360 all the way to the milling and it out exactly on the geometry to at least 0.002". I didn't try to measure any more accurately.

My Z axis flies up and and down with the only issue it will creep down on power down unless I set drag on the head with the locking screws.

Nice work! I read the thread about increasing steps to 3200. My X and Y were set at 1000. After changing to 3200 steps and adjusting steps/per I saw a significant change for the better in surface finish, especially on radius and angle cuts. Thanks to Keith for the heads-up.

Guys,
Good to hear. If you haven't seen Marty's video on you tube
for tuning the motors, you have to check it out. He gives a convenient spreadsheet too you can use to make the calcs. I was too lazy to make my own spreadsheet. :) Marty's the best!

Regards,
Doug

Back