Pm-940m-cnc (pre-assembled)

I found a 28mm spline wrench at "little machine shop", I think it's the right size for the Pm940's drawbar but not 100% sure ....

Jake

This web site is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but it seems to be getting there, never realized how much work it would be! There are 7 of us working on it, and still takes so long. Just taking the pictures of each machine have been going on for a year, not even thinking about getting it to work. And of course, nothing could do it how I wanted, so had to have things changed around, I am certainly not a programmer, had to have that done by others.

I ordered and should receive a new PM-940-CNC-VS from Precision Mathews / Quality Machine Tools in the coming weeks. I will contribute my experience here so others can benefit as much as I have from the posts already made. ( Huge thanks to the guys that posted their Mach3 setup tutorials for the closely related PM-45M-CNC mentioned above. )

I'm somewhat experienced with Mach3 and have converted a smaller mill to CNC. At some point I expect to move to a Mesa Controller and use LinuxCNC via Ethernet. Also after ensuring everything works I will likely remove the electronics box from the rear of the column so I can build an enclosure for chip and coolant containment. I will share my experience here.

One initial question regarding the need for a ? 28mm ? spline wrench for tightening and loosening the drawbar. I have looked online and could not find one available to purchase. Is there a source for this that others have found ?

Happy New Year !

Jake D.

20170114_115338.jpg 20170114_115644.jpg
I made my own drawbar wrench (very first part i cut) from this link. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bench...-rf-45-industrial-hobbies-spanner-wrench.html
It works great and i used it for a month before buidling my own flip down style spindle lock. It sure eliminates the need for a third hand when using keyless chucks or endmills in collets.
Here's a few pics.20161204_094404.jpg 20161205_164257.jpg 20161205_164336.jpg

Last edited:
Just ran across this thread. I also have a PM-940M-CNC. I have removed the stock controller and replaced it with an ESS controller which has made setup easier. I am also able to do backlash compensation in Mach3 with the ESS, whereas I was unable to get it to do anything with the JNC controller. If anyone has questions I will try and help.

I have no love for the Jamen interface card. I am a noob at all this, but the controller sure made the learning and setup process extra difficult. The manual it comes with is not the greatest. There must be a lost in the translation to English. I've emailed the board's manufacturer a few times. No response. Here's a pic of the JNC-40M
20161103_111041.jpg
Which Smoothstepper did you go with? Are you using a breakout board? I'm kicking around the idea of swapping it out for this combo. http://www.cncroom.com/interface-board-mach3-mach4/smooth-stepper-ess-mb2-bob

I have the PMDX-126 BoB, PMDX-107 spindle control & ESS combo on my PM-932 CNC conversion. I am extremely pleased with this setup. PMDX support is top tier.

I also bought a Pm-940m-cnc a little over a year ago. I was finally able to get most settings figured out. Just gave up on the pendant controls though.
The last problem I have yet to figure out is the actual e-stop button on machine doesn't work as should. I believe it might be the input on the Jamen board is bad.
I gave up on messing with the mill for several months now. Time to get back to it.

I also bought a Pm-940m-cnc a little over a year ago. I was finally able to get most settings figured out. Just gave up on the pendant controls though.
The last problem I have yet to figure out is the actual e-stop button on machine doesn't work as should. I believe it might be the input on the Jamen board is bad.
I gave up on messing with the mill for several months now. Time to get back to it.

I didn't care for the pendant at all. Setup was too frustrating using the translated Jamen manual. I emailed Precision Matthews about it 6 months ago. Said they'd send me a USB one. That was 6 months ago... I bought a wireless hand held USB pendant mpg on Amazon. Works great. Easy set up. The instruction manual was decent for an import. An installer and a couple files to drop into the Mach3 folder and it was up and running. Link to wireless mpg. https://www.amazon.com/SHINA-Wirele...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PJ2SDC4G5H69QC6KT57P

Pic of wireless mpg top and stock mpg below it.
20170114_123835.jpg

On my machine the e-stop is orange wire (087) to pin (I11) on the JNC board. Port 1, Pin 11, active low. That's all I had to do on this one. It saw a lot of use the first month. LOL
E-stop.JPG

I like the look of the wireless mpg. Might have to look into getting one of those.
My machine has a red wire labeled 087 to pin I11 on board. The other end of wire is connected on the bottom of terminal strip along with another larger gauge wire also red and labeled 087. There is no wire connected to top of terminal above it.
I did find an orange wire but not connected to anything.
My setting in Mach3 is same. Port 1, pin 11, active low. E-stop on machine not working.

I like the look of the wireless mpg. Might have to look into getting one of those.
My machine has a red wire labeled 087 to pin I11 on board. The other end of wire is connected on the bottom of terminal strip along with another larger gauge wire also red and labeled 087. There is no wire connected to top of terminal above it.
I did find an orange wire but not connected to anything.
My setting in Mach3 is same. Port 1, pin 11, active low. E-stop on machine not working.

(Edit) It sounds like the orange wire is the culprit. You could verify this by opening the box that houses the E-stop button itself to see if that orange wire is connected to the E -stop. If all else fails try wiring the E stop directly to the Jamen controller card, to test it.

Last edited:
Back