Pm-940m-cnc (pre-assembled)

Hows the new setup? Which controller did you end up with?

I have been battling more with the buffer time... and somewhat frequently it still seems to just not do what I want it to do...

I am now using Linux CNC with the Mesa 7i76E ( the E stands for ethernet ). It wasn't an easy as "plug and play" because installing LinuxCNC was a bit of a hassle and I had to rely on my brothers help quite a bit with re-wiring ( of the relays mostly ) for the 7i76e and the VFD to talk to each other. Also the limit and home switches needed a bit of detail too ( basically the common leg had to be powered ).

Last time I used the mill the spindle was getting quite warm and now it feels very tight, so I'm going to have to take it apart to make sure its greased properly and not set too tight.

Jake

I am now using Linux CNC with the Mesa 7i76E ( the E stands for ethernet ). It wasn't an easy as "plug and play" because installing LinuxCNC was a bit of a hassle and I had to rely on my brothers help quite a bit with re-wiring ( of the relays mostly ) for the 7i76e and the VFD to talk to each other. Also the limit and home switches needed a bit of detail too ( basically the common leg had to be powered ).

Last time I used the mill the spindle was getting quite warm and now it feels very tight, so I'm going to have to take it apart to make sure its greased properly and not set too tight.

Jake

That is awesome. You'll have to keep us updated on how it's working out.

What made you choose the Mesa over the SmoothStepper?

PZ

That is awesome. You'll have to keep us updated on how it's working out.

What made you choose the Mesa over the SmoothStepper?

PZ

The Mesa is supposed to be solid hardware and also used by Tormach so if I ever try to use pathpilot control software it will be less struggle to implement it, theoretically !
Jake

I just glanced over the manual for the Mesa... a step far above the nMotion for sure. It looks like the hardest thing to over come would be the spindle speed control, going from PWM to essentially a POT. How is linux CNC vs Mach 3? I am VERY interested in changing to Linux, so don't hold back on review!

PZ

Yeah, I will. Probably will start a new thread though, so as to not hijack this one.
The wiring isn't very difficult now that I have a schematic. I'll share that too.

Jake

Hi, sorry, I haven't had much time to work on the mill but just yesterday I installed AC bearings in the spindle. I don't know if it's successful yet as I haven't checked runout tand actually cut anything but I do want to caution others about something I ran across without regard to the bearings you use. When I tore apart the spindle the interior of the spindle cavity had loose "scale" from the casting process. While I had it apart I used a wire wheel on an extension to loosen up and remove the existing scale so it won't come off anymore and easily get into my fresh bearings.

Jake

You're going to have the baddest 940 CNC out there... Have you thought about upgrading your motors at all?

PZ

..... thought about clearpath servos, but that's some money right there !!!

But I actually have already changed the spindle motor...

I would like to change my spindle motor at some point. It would be great if someone would post how they did it and the pros and cons of the install.

Rod in San Francisco

Back