PM-940m CNC - VS Motion Controller Conversion to Centroid Acorn

Hi guys, sorry for not seeing your posts. I was busy but also the list wasn’t sending me notifications. I just assumed you guys weren’t working on your mills but obviously that’s not the case !! Wow, both of your wiring looks great. Mine looks like a speghetti dinner....
anyway... great work guys.

So, the 5v 24v power supply automagically accepts whatever input voltage so you don’t need to flip a switch or anything. 120 or 240 works fine.
As far as the vfd wiring, I believe you can bypass the relays altogether and run the wires direct. From what I was instructed they don’t serve a purpose in our setup. Lemme know and I can send you a better diagram, if that would help at all.

Cheers, Jake

Oh, and yeah, i’ve been eyeballing the Hallmark too, it’s tough to pull the trigger on something so expensive but would really make cnc life easier. The crash tolerance aspect is great insurance. I guess my main question is whether it can be used as effectively ( or at all ) to “digitize/scan” as the Centroid probe can. I imagine so, but I still wonder if there could be some difference ? If anyone knows, please say something. I’m itching to order the hallmark ! :)

You are correct, we don't need the relays. I left them in there just because they are already there. If I need to mount something else in there, or I need a set of relays (power draw bar), they will be there and ready to rock.

Also, for those that may be lerking thinking about a centroid swap, or are just looking for a CNC computer, my dad just got this one and has been running CNC12 on it completely unmodified:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7RB3SP1196&ignorebbr=1

That's a functioning computer that scores 1745 on the single thread performance benchmark WITH windows 10 for $120. Hell windows 10 cost me $150, and the components I bought to upgrade my old computer were another $150! And my comp only scores a 1757! Add a little flash drive like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZ2OWDT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and you have a rocking little CNC computer! Even came with a mouse and keyboard.

PZ

Nice heads up about the computer. I got a dell optiplex with windows 7 last year and upgraded to windows 10. It scores similarly I think.
I have an Asus touch screen which feels laggy in the Centroid interface which worries me a bit. The computer is not connected to the internet, so I hope it’s not trying to connect even though I turned off everything per the Centroid Windows setup video.
Jake

I noticed that my computers response was a bit laggy in CNC12 also, however it went away after I got my settings squared away. I can't quite bring myself to drop the $$$ on a touch screen... Though it seems like it really would make things nicer, not having to have a keyboard laying on my tool box all the time, and finding space for the mouse.

I think I'm going to save my pennies for a pendent, when ever that comes out.

PZ

I think a keyboard is probably still required for punching in numbers.
I do miss my pendant already.

Hi guys, sorry for not seeing your posts. I was busy but also the list wasn’t sending me notifications. I just assumed you guys weren’t working on your mills but obviously that’s not the case !! Wow, both of your wiring looks great. Mine looks like a speghetti dinner....
anyway... great work guys.

So, the 5v 24v power supply automagically accepts whatever input voltage so you don’t need to flip a switch or anything. 120 or 240 works fine.
As far as the vfd wiring, I believe you can bypass the relays altogether and run the wires direct. From what I was instructed they don’t serve a purpose in our setup. Lemme know and I can send you a better diagram, if that would help at all.

Cheers, Jake

Hey Jake,
If you have the VFD figured out i'd like to see how you wired the connections. I know you had mentioned a couple weeks ago that our setups were different. I'm not quite sure how this should be connected. Tomorrow night I hope to finally finish hooking everything up and firing this thing up.
Thanks,
Regards,
Doug

Hey Guys,
I also wanted to talk to you about your thoughts for a power draw bar. I was watching a video on YT and a guy from Australia purchased a 3 stage cylinder like the one that Tormach makes from a company in China and setup his power drawbar. I took a chance and purchased the same cylinder and valve that he did from China and it should be here the beginning of next week. Take a look at the video and let me know what you think.
Also, i'm not sure if you've looked at Hoss' site for info, but it looks like his site is gone. He had a lot of good info on there. The site was www.hossmachine.info

Regards,
Doug

Hey Jake,
If you have the VFD figured out i'd like to see how you wired the connections. I know you had mentioned a couple weeks ago that our setups were different. I'm not quite sure how this should be connected. Tomorrow night I hope to finally finish hooking everything up and firing this thing up.
Thanks,
Regards,
Doug

Hey Doug,

Here is the schematic you'll want to use if you keep the relays. However, to keep it simple and not create unwanted noise you should really just run two new shielded wires from the Acorn directly to the VFD for the ( without going through the terminal block ). AN_OUT on the Acorn to AVI on the VFD. And AN_GND from the Acorn to the ACM on the VFD.

Then for the M1, M2 and DCM on the VFD use the rest of the wiring diagram enclosed ( if you intend to keep using the relays ).
Note, the lower right corner shows the KA1 and KA2 terminals ( 1,5,9, 13 and 14 ). I believe your 029 and 031 are identical to the wiring used in my mill, specific to the VFD anyway..... so this schematic should work for you as well. Note, you may have to rewire your relay, possibly, but hopefully not ! I can't say because I previously changed mine to wire for the Mesa 7i76e / LinuxCnc.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Jake
PM 940 Wiring From Acorn to Delta VFD.jpeg

OR you could make life simpler, and remove the relays AND remove the power supply ground and 24v+ from this schematic too !!! in this scheme you should NOT connect COM ( adjacent to the OC4 and OC5 ) on the Acorn to the power supply ground, if you do it will create a ground loop. I assume the COM near OC4 and 5 aren't connected to the COM in other places on the Acorn board. AND NOTE, the OC5 wire jumps over the COM wire. They aren't connected [ to each other ]
No Relays PM 940 Wiring From Acorn to Delta VFD.jpg

Last edited:
Back