PM Bandsaw vs Tormach Autofeed

If you really want to cut stuff, get a saw with a fluid recirculating pump. It makes a huge difference, in my opinion.

Good to know. I just got off of the phone with Northern Tool and they said their is made in China.
Let adjust my comment to say the tag on my 8-10 yr old, Wilton/Jet 7 x 14 saw says Taiwan

If you really want to cut stuff, get a saw with a fluid recirculating pump. It makes a huge difference, in my opinion.

I gave up on any kind of flood or spray coolant, on the machines, for 2-3 days afterwards, I’d be short of breath, nose bleeds and be coughing all kinds of phlegm. I could taste the coolant for a day or two. I still use a spray bottle and give an occasional spray, if it needs it.

Now Buffalo21, that's interesting. I have an issue breathing and coughing when I drip or brush onto hot metal and create fumes. When sawing, the work doesn't get hot enough to create fumes. YMMV, I suppose.

I have the PM bandsaw for last 3 years and it’s been great for my use. Can’t see why I would spend quite a bit more for an automated model, but that’s me.

Many of the 7x12 Taiwanese bandsaws seem to be identical, exception may be a Jet and a few other brands. I have the Enco Turn-Pro that I have been using for years, I opted for the gear head which is more compact and easier to change gears. It appears to be identical to the PM-712G. They are reliable and they have hydraulic down feed, basically a piston with a bypass valve to adjust the oil flow. The Tormach has an auto side feed, which I can't see would be worthwhile unless you are in a production setting, the feed is also limited to 10". There are two variants on these metal band saws, one uses a fixed head and you adjust the angle of the piece. This is OK for larger material, but hard to cut smaller pieces. The other variant is the swivel head, where the material is stationary and the head swivel, very similar to a miter saw. The latter takes up a bit more room to allow for the head to swivel, but the material is always in the same position/plane. I modified my fixed head bandsaw to allow cutting smaller stock, would probably opt for a swivel head if I had more space. The PM-712G is the least expensive, Baileigh and Jet are almost twice the price in a swivel head. In the past QMT did source Baileigh band saws.

As far as coolant, I use to use KoolRite 2290 in my bandsaw when I used it more frequent. No fumes (it is water based emulsion), and the tank life was very long, like a year in a very hot garage. I do not use it anymore because I use the bandsaw infrequently these days and get decent performance with a good quality blade. If I did more steel and large aluminum I would add the flood coolant. I see the bandsaw as the 3rd most important machine behind the mill and the lathe, I have cut through 6" steel rounds with no issues. If you are looking at a higher end bandsaw I would recommend the Ellis over the Tormach at that price range.

Back