PM Bandsaw vs Tormach Autofeed

Andarxx

Registered
Registered
I’m working on updating some equipment in my shop and I’m pretty sure I’m going with the PM-1440GT and PM-949TV. My question is has anyone has experience with the PM bandsaw or the new Tormach autofeed model? I was planning to bundle the shipping by getting all at once, but now I’m torn on moving up to the Tormach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No response huh. That is odd. I will have to say that the Tormach autofeed bandsaw looks really awesome, but you would have to have a production environment to justify it. Of course if it is for a hobby, no justification needed.
As much as I don't care for Harbor Freight stuff, I have their small 4x6 bandsaw and it works very well. All of those smaller saws come out of the same chinese factory. I have been seriously considering a 7x12 band saw but am still considering my options. I did not realize that PM sold a bandsaw. His price is actually quite good on that one.

I see that Northern Tool currently has their 7x12 Klutch brand on sale for $898. That is cheaper than anyone right now.

Last edited:
No response huh. That is odd. I will have to say that the Tormach autofeed bandsaw looks really awesome, but you would have to have a production environment to justify it. Of course if it is for a hobby, no justification needed.
As much as I don't care for Harbor Freight stuff, I have their small 4x6 bandsaw and it works very well. All of those smaller saws come out of the same chinese factory. I have been seriously considering a 7x12 band saw but am still considering my options. I did not realize that PM sold a bandsaw. His price is actually quite good on that one.

I see that Northern Tool currently has their 7x12 Klutch brand on sale for $898. That is cheaper than anyone right now.
I really like the HF 7 x 12.

Well, I have experience with neither, but I have spent some quality time looking at both of those band saws before I lay out money for a saw for my own shop. In a production environment, I think the Tormach would make good sense -- why pay someone to babysit a band saw? But at least for me as a hobbyist, I would plonk for the PM and put the dollars saved to the tooling budget. The PM checks most of the boxes for what you need for a band saw.

Well, I have experience with neither, but I have spent some quality time looking at both of those band saws before I lay out money for a saw for my own shop. In a production environment, I think the Tormach would make good sense -- why pay someone to babysit a band saw? But at least for me as a hobbyist, I would plonk for the PM and put the dollars saved to the tooling budget. The PM checks most of the boxes for what you need for a band saw.
I don't know the PM or the Tormach either but I have had a few bandsaws.
I do know that the PM is incredibly similar to the previous version of the HF saw. The only major difference in design is the speed change. However being made in Taiwan I am sure the castings are better and the materials used superior. It is about about 70% more expensive but that may be OK for a very serious hobbyist.
The Tormach is even more similar to the HF machine with the obvious addition of its automation features. At a starting price of $3999 it is in a totally different league from the others so it all comes down to needing auto-feed as well as undoubtedly high build quality (probably as good as the PM) and being prepared to pay a great deal for it. I couldn't see where it is made or whether its warranty matches the PM's 5 years. Does anyone know?

The Northern Tool Klutch 7x12 is on sale until midnight Tuesday ((7/7/2020) at $301 off of their normal pricing. I am probably going to pull the trigger on that one. As much as I would love the PM, that is another $550 over the Northern Tool.

Thanks everyone on the feedback. I tend to be a “buy once, cry once” person, but I also like to research as much as I can as well. My goal is to move from a hobby to a full-time “professional” sometime in the hopefully near future, and I’m upgrading my shop for that end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The PM saw looks almost identical to the Wilton/Jet 7 x 12 saw I have

The PM saw looks almost identical to the Wilton/Jet 7 x 12 saw I have

And identical to the Northern Tool. LOL. The only difference I have seen is the PM having that gear box with the selector. Honestly, I have hardly ever changed speeds on mine switching from aluminum to mild steel so not sure how big of a deal that really is. Also, the PM is made in Taiwan where virtually all of the others appear to be made in China.

Back