[4]

PM mill which one

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

jsh

Registered
Decisions, decisions. I have not called them but will do so.
Thought I would ask the crowd here,25MV,727M,727V.
I am pondering on which one. I do and don't understand all the differences.
I am going to go ahead with DRO on what ever I get. Some say it is an extra, others say how did I ever get by with out it.

I think I am going to build my own base. I have plenty of angle iron,wire welder, chop saw, sanding wheels etc, to top that off there is a powder coating company just a mile from the shop I have access too.

I am going to need basic tooling as well, so there is some more. I have a few odds and end mills, a so so vise.

Thanks for any input.
Jeff

Rickwjenn

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I would go for the 727 over the 25 just due to size and mass. Heavier is better IMO. Go for the variable speed spindle as well.

Btroj

Registered
I just got my 833T and can assure you that the DRO is all it is made out to be. I can’t imagine not having it. Quality work can be done with the dials but the DRO just makes it easier.
Go with heavier. And a good vise is well worth the money. I got a Glacern and couldn’t be happier.

And you can stop by and see mine anytime.

shooter123456

I have a PM-25 and I am very happy with it. I can't say if it will be better than a 727, but it meets my needs very well. I have it CNCd and I haven't found its capabilities to be limiting to me. I work mostly in aluminum and I was able to get it removing 3in^3/min. The accuracy has been excellent and most of the components are very well made. I have a 2 HP servo motor on the spindle now and the mills rigidity hasn't been an issue with heavy cuts. I have no doubt the 727 could take heavier cuts though, it comes at the cost of travel and up front price. I have recently been using my machine for more production oriented work and I have been taking up much of the travel. If I was running it manually, I can't imagine I would use all of the travels that often.

I wouldn't shy away from building a base. You can save a few dollars and get exactly what you want. The hard part is usually getting the height right and I have heard others have trouble with the standard base height. Personally, between the 3, I would get the PM-25 if I was going to CNC, or the 727M if I was going to keep it manual. I don't think variable speed is critical on a manual machine the way it is on CNC. I would save the extra dollars over the variable speed and spend that on the tooling and DRO.

On that note, a DRO isn't absolutely required, but I would highly recommend it. When I had my X2 mill and I was using it manually, my productivity shot way up when I added a DRO. I was able to do things easily 3x as fast and more accurately. I also was able to figure out that when I locked my axes, they would shift a little bit. With the DRO I could account for that beforehand. It usually wasn't much, maybe .003" at the worst, but it helped make my work more accurate.

For vises, I have an el cheapo 4" kurt knock off vise from ebay (Probably $100 or so) and it is alright. The fit isn't fantastic, but it holds parts tightly. It isn't as accurate as I would like, so for first operations where I am removing extra material it is excellent, but for second operations where it needs to hold the part accurately, it isn't the best. For those operations, I have a 3" toolmakers vise (probably $60 on ebay) and it is very accurate. I have measured it on a surface plate and it is flat and parallel farther than I can measure with a .0005" indicator.

I hope that helps! If we can answer any specific questions, just ask and I am sure someone will have an answer.

Rickwjenn

I would absolutely go for DRO if you can't do CNC. The digital readout to the .001" even it if only accurate to 1/2 that is WAY BETTER than dials IMO. Most parts don't require that accuracy and you will be much MORE productive. So what if a part is off by .001 to .002"? Unless you are making internal engine parts it does not matter...

Get the DRO or go CNC...

ScottLoudon

Registered
I have the PM727mv. Power feed and DRO purchased with machine. So far I am pleased with it. It's only a couple months old, no real issue,s other than the X axis power feed needing a new brush. PM sent out quickly without charge. Would definitely recommend.

[6]
[5] [7]