• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Pm Research Engine #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of eventually making the thing steam with the oil injector and whole works, where it had a boiler, a hand pump to fill/keep the boiler full, a condensation tank for the exhaust, and have it power a small gen or something to power a light or something like that. That way it shows it use and the process that was used to keep it running. I was also at one point looking at a governor setup to go on it so it would regulate the speed if you put a load on and off of the generator. (long term project, to go with it the PM#7)

An error I made was to try to run an engine on steam instead of air. Everything rusted. I, of course, should have torn it down to bare pieces and dried and oiled it. but I didn't .

I was thinking that was what the oil ejector was for so that you provided oil into the system to keep it from rusting on you as well as to lube it so that it does not wear as bad.

I have painted the base a nice dark green, and have made the SS hex head bolts for the cylinder heads and eccentric to piston connecting rod. I still have to make the bronze/brass hex head bolts for the crosshead guides.

1) Mostly finished.jpg

2)  Mostly Finished.jpg

3) mostly finished.jpg

I think the green turned out pretty well.

Question: What else should I paint*, and what colors? I am of two minds; leave it as is, or add a bit of interest through paint. All machined surfaces would remain unpainted.

Option 1: Leave well enough alone.

Option 2: paint all castings green.

Option 3: Paint some castings:

For example, leave the flywheel raw bronze, but paint the crosshead caps and cylinder castings.

Option 4: Add interest (or highlight interesting aspects) to the engine by painting some cast parts a different, but, compatible color. For example, all moving cast parts are painted tool room grey.

Opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

*The dang thing ran the first time I hooked it up to my little air brush compressor. I am amazed and pleased by this result. Thus if you suggest I paint it like your favorite bass fishing lure, I will do so. I am still amazed it ran. Really.

Paint the iron castings, you have done that, the brass and/or bronze castings should be left alone, they won't rust, they may take on a patina. Leave machined surfaces alone. Many/some of them need to move or be moved on. Your color choice is excellent.

Oil....the injector will work well as long as the engine is running, stop running and it will rust unless cleaned.

Paint the inside of the flywheel, either one color or spokes one color and rim are another.
Paint the imitation wood looking items on the cyl so that it off sets that, Possibly brown or something like that,
If you wanted paint things like the rods, or the other pieces where it would highlight them as they turned as compared to some of the other parts around them. With all the brass lookin about the same it does not show the parts moving in relation to each other that much.

I think it's just perfect as it is Well done.

Brian.

Congratulations Tom. A well deserved award.

"Billy G"

Congrats on your project completion and on POM! You did a fine job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back