PM spindle "break in"?

I don't know where Ray C. has been, I haven't seen him on the forum much lately.

The last update he posted, he stated he's been having internet service issues & has also been very busy, but will be back posting as soon as he can.

Folks,

I've been gone for a while. Actually took a couple days off and went to the Ocean but upon return, had to work 10 times as hard to catch-up. And yes, a few weeks ago, they dug-up the underground cables in my area and I purchased an upgraded Internet service and the transition was not good for about 2 weeks.

Spindle Break In: For either a lathe or mill, run the machine in each gear for a couple minutes, forward and reverse. You don't need to spend much time in the really fast gears -maybe just a minute. This will get everything warmed up. The chances of anything going wrong are very slim... -extremely slim. Matt test runs every machine before sending.

The most common failure of a new machine are the capacitors in single phase motors. There's always a chance of early mortality with almost all caps. If they go early, it will be in the first week. If they go past that, they will live for 10+ years.

Oil Change: After 20-40 hours of use on a new machine, change the oil. ISO 32 hydraulic is recommend for most environments while ISO 68 is recommend for really hot environments. You won't hurt the machine either way. After the 1st oil change, consider changing it after 700-1000 hours of run time. Purchasing a "run-time" meter and wiring it into your system is a good way to measure this.

Ray

Thanks guys. Ray, I hope your trip to the ocean was vacation, not some big at sea job (but hopefully you wrote it off as though it was).

Back