PM Steam Engine #1

Racer57

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I needed another project after the PM #7 was completed. I jumped to the bigger PM #1. After many hours (I don't keep track) and afternoons it is complete and runs great. As usual I start with visions of perfection and end with a little less. There was some tweak to fit work. In the end it runs on something less than 7# of pressure. It is low enough that the gauge is really not useful.

I got lots of information from the series on the Youtube channel from Blondihacks. One of the ways that this channel is different is that she doesn't hide her mistakes. That allowed me to learn and miss some of the places where the drawings took some interpretation. I did indeed make my own mistakes. For instance, three tries before I was happy with the eccentric.

It was my first crankshaft and it is not quite perfection but pretty great.

Here is the finished product.

PM Steam 2.JPG

View attachment PM Steam Engine.MOV

Love the pictures. It shows a lot of work that went into its construction.

I hope that you will eventually get rid of the socket head capscrews and make finished hex head bolts, or studs and nuts, as would be used on an full size engine, it adds a lot of good looks; that is what I did on the 3 & 5 1/4 X 3 3/4" marine compound engines that I built years ago. Otherwise, a hood looking job!

I hope that you will eventually get rid of the socket head capscrews and make finished hex head bolts, or studs and nuts, as would be used on an full size engine, it adds a lot of good looks; that is what I did on the 3 & 5 1/4 X 3 3/4" marine compound engines that I built years ago. Otherwise, a hood looking job!
Would the bolts and nuts be square back then ?

Would the bolts and nuts be square back then ?
Only if very old, perhaps 1840 - 1860s --- Classy engines were always finished nicely, all the old steam engines that I have worked on used hex nuts usually the extra heavy series, not hardware style, that is what I used on my engines.

All right nice job and now whats next?
It becomes addictive doesn't it.

Ray

I actually changed the pan head screws that came with the kit to the cap screws. I thought that they were more representative. I will think about studs and nuts. It would be another task in the shop.

As to what comes next. I am getting suggestions (pressure) to tackle a hit-miss motor. My biggest concern is that my primary technical support is 250 miles away. It is additive.

Will

Back