PM Taper Attachment

Rifleman1384

Registered
Registered
I am finalizing my PM 1440GT order and am wondering how many of you have purchased the taper attachment and actually use it with any regularity. I don't mind spending the money but not if it's going to sit on the shelf and almost never get used. What say you all?

This machine will be for home use projects, gun smithing and such, I will in the future build myself a suppressor on a form 1 but that is down the road.

Thanks everyone for all the great info posted here, I read most of it when I can. Special Thanks to Mark Jacobs, JBolt and Dave Best your posts a informative and it's obvious you enjoy helping other and freely passing information along.

SC

I have one and have used it twice in two years. Its just one of things that if you don't buy it with the lathe it may not be available in the future. When you need one it is wonderful to have.

Don't have a PM lathe, have a G0709 14 x 40 Grizzly with a taper attachment. I've used mine maybe a half-dozen times in the 4 or 5 years I've had the lathe. Naturally depends on the projects you plan on tackling. My lathe was around $4500, but I've added at least another $4K in collets, tool holders, DRO, etc. The taper attachment was around $500. Good chunk of money, but relative to the overall cost of the lathe, not so much. I figured it was better to have it and not use it than need it and try to a work around with the compound.

Bruce

My 9" South Bend came with a taper attachment, I have had that lathe since the early 1970's. In that time the taper attachment spent a lot of time on the shelf, sometimes decades, but when i used it, I was VERY glad that I had it! My point is that it may well be worth the price even though it doesn't get use very much. Only you can make that call.

When I bought my 13" South Bend, I made sure that I got one with a taper attachment because I make specialty parts for the company that I retired from that require a taper attachment. Fact is, I am machining a part with it as I am typing this!

Richard

Get it!!
Like others have said, better off having it for when you need it than not having it and saying "crap, wish I had that now".
If you are married your wife probably has crap decorations all over the house that sits on the shelf for years. Build a glass front case for the taper attachment and hang it on the wall where you can say, "Isn't that beautiful". :)

When I bought my 13" South Bend,
Just curious, what vintage is your 13?
There is a special place in my heart for the South Bend 13. I learned on one in High School. I used one in Haiti in the early 80's in the baseball business and I lost one in the fire back in 2018.

Attachments

• sb.jpg
    sb.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 87
Just curious, what vintage is your 13?
There is a special place in my heart for the South Bend 13. I learned on one in High School. I used one in Haiti in the early 80's in the baseball business and I lost one in the fire back in 2018.

According to the serial number it is one of the last 8 machines made in 1982. It also came out of a High School.
20200203_162023.jpg

I've got a PM1440HD. I ordered it with the taper attachment, it came installed. I've used it a couple of times a year. Worth being able when I want. It was very loose when I got it, have now got it pretty snug but the attachment bracket to the bed needs to be replaced with one that holds better. When everything is tight it will cut a pretty good taper. I always do a dye fit to a known good part and them massage it the last little ways. I think if you want a really good fit you need to grind to finish. That said, I always end up with a taper that locks in after some fiddling. Using the DRO to set it up works really well.

Back