PM1022 or SB1001 Lathes

KenG

Registered
Registered
I am looking at either the PM1022 or Grizzly's SB1001 lathe. My hobby is live steam railroads and I know I would be better off with a larger machine but I the extra weight just seems too hard to manage, especially as I move around a lot for work.

Any feedback on the "South Bend" would be welcome. I figure with the extra chucks etc. it's going to cost over $1,000 more but is only 8" swing vs. 10". Is there really any great difference in the precision?

I am looking at either the PM1022 or Grizzly's SB1001 lathe. My hobby is live steam railroads and I know I would be better off with a larger machine but I the extra weight just seems too hard to manage, especially as I move around a lot for work.

Any feedback on the "South Bend" would be welcome. I figure with the extra chucks etc. it's going to cost over $1,000 more but is only 8" swing vs. 10". Is there really any great difference in the precision?

How much precision do you need?

Your reasons for a smaller lathe sound exactly like mine. I seriously considered the G0752, the variable speed 1022, but went with the SB101 instead. My reasons were:

1.5 HP BLDC motor. 120v.
1 1/8 spindle bore
D1-3 chuck mount
3-v bed (tailstock accuracy)
300 lbs instead of 450

These reasons are probably trivial to most, but they were important for me and one of the things I do that requires reasonable accuracy (pistolsmithing) means I was looking for a little better quality than that typically found in these smaller sized lathes.

I cannot speak to the 1022, as I've never owned one, but accuracy of the SB is better than any Chinese lathe I've owned previously. I don't remember the exact numbers but shortly after getting mine running, and without aligning anything, I did a 5 or 6" test cut on a 1" bar of stainless and had somewhere around .0004 difference over the length of the cut. I have not even bothered to align the tailstock given the results of that test. I am impressed with the fit and finish of the lathe overall. Other than one loose grease fitting, and an intermittent fwd/rev switch, I've had no problems with this lathe. Grizzly replaced both parts under warranty no questions asked.

I don't do much threading, which is good because the SB1001 doesn't offer much of a range/selection. But in order to fine tune feed rates, I'm putting a geared motor on the leadscrew which will give me a variable feed function.

I have put an aloris QC toolpost on it, and will be making a more robust compound lower to add some rigidity when I'm working stainless and titanium. I have also put a 5" set-tru 3 jaw chuck on it as I have to chuck barrels and other items that need to run accurately. I will however, be buying the 4-jaw and the steady rest for this lathe so I have them just in case. I've never needed a follow rest so probably won't get that.

I'm just telling you my experience with the little SB. You can take this information and make your own decision.

It is pretty robust little lathe with a 6" wide bed for only a 8" swing, very stable carriage, and can take a pretty good DOC in stainless with little rpm drop. I smoked a uncoated carbide insert on that cut and the lathe wasn't even breathing hard. :)

But I'm more interested in it's accuracy in doing small(er) work. Also, as I have had to move quite a bit for work, I have mounted the lathe on a 40" toolbox lower. Gets the lathe up where I don't have to bend over to operate it, and I can push it up a moving van ramp if need be. :)

If you have other questions, I'll monitor this thread or PM me.

Edit: thought I'd add a pic of mine.

Lathes New Home.JPG
Bill

Lathes New Home.JPG

Isn't the SB1001 discontinued? I thought the current lower price was to sell-off remaining inventory.

Yea, saw that reduced price... :angry:

My lathe will be relegated to 'used to make' just like the sb9, the 10k, and others found on this site. Parts won't be a problem though.

Other than that, am I missing something by your comment?

Bill

The SB9 and SB10K were produced in decent numbers for decades but the SB1001 flopped in a year. It might be a bit optimistic to assume the same parts availability or interest.

Buying an orphan can be a good thing if you can get it cheap enough, you just need to make sure to buy all the tooling you need now while it's still available.

I didn't "assume" anything, I asked questions of Griz and SB. Doesn't mean parts will be available forever, but neither will I. :)

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the comments on the SB. Similar to reviews I've seen on other forums.

Does anyone have comments on the M1022. It has a better power feed setup than the SB but is there really a limited range of thread pitches? I use a lot of M4 and M5 fasteners and would like to have those thread option.

Bill,

Thanks for the comments on the SB. Similar to reviews I've seen on other forums.

Does anyone have comments on the M1022. It has a better power feed setup than the SB but is there really a limited range of thread pitches? I use a lot of M4 and M5 fasteners and would like to have those thread option.

Just a quick heads up... In general, metric threads are quite a bit harder to do than US style. Also M4 and M5 are really hard because of their small size. For me personally, I'm not inclined cut threads on a lathe for anything finer than 24 TPI (which is rare) or on diameters under 3/8". Now, I do realize that some people specialize in making smaller parts so, feel free to toss my opinion as far as you can throw it -and it won't hurt my feelings.

Ray

Just a quick heads up... In general, metric threads are quite a bit harder to do than US style. Also M4 and M5 are really hard because of their small size. For me personally, I'm not inclined cut threads on a lathe for anything finer than 24 TPI (which is rare) or on diameters under 3/8". Now, I do realize that some people specialize in making smaller parts so, feel free to toss my opinion as far as you can throw it -and it won't hurt my feelings.

Ray

BTW: M4 is usually a 0.7 pitch which is approximately equivalent to 36 TPI -which is not easy to cut...

Ray

Bill,

It will cut (at least the chart shows the gearing arrangement for) M4 and M5 fine pitch of .5 mm but it won't cut coarse pitchs of .7mm and .8mm (but instead do the average i.e., .75mm pitch).

Back