PM1127 Questions

robotwizard

Registered
Registered
I have oil leaking out the apron where the feed shaft goes through. I don't see any kind of seal in the parts breakdown. Has anyone else had this issue?

I see where others with similar size chinese lathes have made upgraded 4 or 6 bolt compound clamps to improve rigidity. Has anyone else found it necessary to do this for the PM1127? Would it be worth the effort?

I had the same oil leak. I emailed PM and Matt told me that the sight glass is set too high at the factory, so the oil leaks out to the correct fill level. There is no seal there, as you noted. It's mildly annoying, but doesn't hurt anything. Removing the drain plug releases oil, so I know it's not running dry.

I haven't noted a big lack of rigidity, so I haven't bothered to upgrade the compound clamp. I think I would remove the compound and make a plinth rather than improve the compound mount. The most rigid setup for when I'm not using the compound feed, which is most of the time. With the T-slot table, it doesn't take long to install or remove it.

I had the same oil leak. I emailed PM and Matt told me that the sight glass is set too high at the factory, so the oil leaks out to the correct fill level. There is no seal there, as you noted. It's mildly annoying, but doesn't hurt anything. Removing the drain plug releases oil, so I know it's not running dry.

I haven't noted a big lack of rigidity, so I haven't bothered to upgrade the compound clamp. I think I would remove the compound and make a plinth rather than improve the compound mount. The most rigid setup for when I'm not using the compound feed, which is most of the time. With the T-slot table, it doesn't take long to install or remove it.

Thanks ttabbal,

The oil level appears to be in the middle of the sight glass now. As low as the bore for the feed shaft is in relationship to the oil reserve, it looks like it will leak at any oil level. I don't see any practical way to add seals. Seals for linear bearings or linear ballscrews come to mind, but there's really not enough room for them and the square cutout in the shaft would likely cut the seals anyway. I wonder if anyone has tried draining the oil and packing with some type of grease? How often are you having to add oil?

Someday I will do a CNC conversion when finances permit. At that point I plan to replace the compound with a steel block as compounds are not needed for CNC. That should improve rigidity.

I just let it drain as any oil visible in the sight glass does leak out. PM says that there is enough left when you let it drain, but perhaps I'll pull the plug again and see what's left in there now that it's stopped leaking out. I haven't topped it off as they said there is no need.

The gearbox sight glass is in the middle and seems to be staying there fine.

I have oil leaking out the apron where the feed shaft goes through. I don't see any kind of seal in the parts breakdown. Has anyone else had this issue?

I have the same issue with my new PM-1440GT. I was hoping the leak would stop after a while -and it has slowed way down. The sight glass level has dropped from mid-level to just above the "L" point.

This photo shows the leak and my highly engineered leak catcher, that has been doing its job for about a month now. (Parallax is causing the level to appear higher than it is when viewed straight on at eye level.)

Leaking Apron  PM-1440GT.jpg

I have the same problem but there is plenty oil in gear box. I little oil in the swarf pan never hurt any thing.

I have the same problem but there is plenty oil in gear box. I little oil in the swarf pan never hurt any thing.
FLguy:

Hmm. Thanks. All I need to do is pull the chip pan out a bit and it will catch the leaks.

Thanks!

Seems to be a common problem, I cut an aluminum plate to fit over the area and just glues it on with silicone after I drained the oil. Hasn't leaked since. It is just slightly above the fill oil level, but most likely capillary wicking effect.
20160410_114103.jpg

20160412_080332.jpg

Back