PM1130VF

I agree. I doubt they inspect every single crate that comes through their warehouse. I imagine it’s a spotcheck. Maybe 1 in 10 actually get checked. Hopefully, since this is a relatively new model and it’s their first shipment of this model, they’ll take the extra time to make sure it was done right.
Spoke with PM today. They Inspect each machine, and either bolster the existing crate, or build new prior to shipping. The inspection for the Chinese machines are basic, but includes powering up. I got the impression the machines from Taiwan are inspected a bit more thoroughly, but they said they perform some inspection on each and every machine they receive.

My PM-1236 lathe came full of gear oil in all three gear boxes. It was clear that it had been spun up before recreated and shipped to me. Its possible the factory in China filled up the gear boxes before they shipped it, but that would cost some amount of money more per unit, so I highly doubt that's the case.

Spoke with PM today. They Inspect each machine, and either bolster the existing crate, or build new prior to shipping. The inspection for the Chinese machines are basic, but includes powering up. I got the impression the machines from Taiwan are inspected a bit more thoroughly, but they said they perform some inspection on each and every machine they receive.
That’s good to know. I stand corrected.

Lathe and mill were delivered today. Got the lathe set up and cleaned. A few minor issues. No hardware to assemble the stand and the mount for the DRO is broken. I have hardware so that’s really a non issue. The DRO mount is a POS. I can make a new one.

The big issue is that the lathe trips the breaker. If you watch this PM YouTube video: Power up , I’m good until I hit that last button to get the chuck moving.

I’ll play with it a little tomorrow and see if I can figure this out. Gonna install a NON- GFCI breaker and outlet. Chuck turns freely by hand.

As far as the new mill goes, 932M, it’s still on the pallet. I’ll get to that one once the lathe is up and running.

Congratulations Philzy!

I have not had good luck with the GFCI breakers and running any type of motor. Looking forward to seeing some chips being made.

Don't hesitate to reach out if you need a hand with anything. Like moving the mill to where it needs to be, I'm not that far away.

Gonna install a NON- GFCI breaker
Lots of problems with GFCI breakers for heavier loads. Even older 4 wire 220V ranges will trip them. I asked a commercial electrician about it. They are required by code here. He told me to swap it out after inspection if I wanted to use the range. Sq D breakers.

Same thing here is Washington. I installed one on purpose a couple years ago that feeds a greenhouse and the headed water tank for our Donkey. I believe the fan motor at the greenhouse kept tripping it. I replaced it with a standard unit and it hasn't tripped since.

The VFD on my wive's wood lathe trips GFCI circuits too. Put a simple power strip in between and it solves the problem.

I tried the power strip and that didn’t work. I just got off the phone with Mike at PM. The man did a little bit of research and found a jumper on the VFD. Pulled that jumper and now it works like a champ. The VFD is a Delta MS 300. I have attached the page in the manual that shows the jumper. Mike is top notch.

BA876E69-6855-4ACE-8903-ABF8FFF1393D.jpeg

Back