PM1236 arrived

thlee72

Registered
Registered
I"m excited to say that my new PM1236 Lathe was delivered yesterday. its unpacked and sitting on the crate bottom, waiting to be installed on the stand (that is this weekend's project)

the delivery process was fun -- the truck driver didn't have a pallet jack that would fit under the lathe crate, and it was not installed on pallet. so it took about an hour to get it off of the truck, lift it up with an engine hoist and get it onto some dollies to roll it into the garage. but its there now so I can get to work.

I do have some questions for the experts however.

1) I've heard some people state that the standard base/stand benefits from some "outriggers" to widen the base for stability. is this really needed, or can I install levelers in the 8 holes and just be done with it?

2) my lathe did not come with floor leveling mounting pads. so I bought some 5/8" x 2.5" wide levelers from Grainger. any suggestions for setting up the base?

3) my DRO scales came installed from PM/Matt -- but I'd love to see some pictures of where/how other people have mounted the DRO readout/control box to their 1236 machines.

4) - any opinions on the best way to clean off all of the shipping grease that is all over the lathe?

thanks in advance. this looks like a solid machine -- I'm looking forward to getting it running.

-Tom

Congrats on the new lathe. Make sure to post up pics of it. We all love to see pictures of nice, shiny, new machines to drool over.

Mike.

Congrats on the new machine!

4) - any opinions on the best way to clean off all of the shipping grease that is all over the lathe?

Odorless mineral spirits, a throwaway paint brush and some rags, just be careful of disposing of the rags. I let mine bake in the sun to dry.

thanks for the info. I'll post pictures once its put together.

Back