PM1236 Compound Rest T-Nut Removal

digadv

Registered
Registered
New PM1236 owner (and metal lathes in general).

Can anyone give me some advice for removing the t-nut from the compound on my PM1236 lathe? I'm trying to replace the standard tool post with the QCTP provided in Matt's preferred package. I wonder if I shouldn't go ahead and take the compound slide apart and clean it. Photo shows what's in there now and the replacement from Matt's kit. Thinking the detent plays a roll but not sure how to remove it (maybe a punch) and then put it back together.

IMG_0077.JPG

I believe that detent pulls out. LOL: That question comes-up here about once a month... It's a right of passage to getting a new lathe.

Ray

Thank you sir :)! I searched for this problem and was unable to find anything ... probably not putting the right keywords into the search. I could not grab a hold of the detent but a punch through the back pushed it out and it was indeed holding the t-nut in place.

Probably the next step in my passage is separating the two main compound components. The handwheel tightens up at the end of the travel ... do you just force it past that point? All set screws, gib, etc have been removed.

Thanks again!

Back