PM1236 lathe Compound Slide Dial.

Ratz

Active User
Registered
As I did not want to hijack Morgan RedHawk “Holy cow, my PM1236 shipped!”</SPAN>
located here:</SPAN>

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=22392</SPAN>

I am starting new thread of PM1236 lathe Compound Slide Dial.</SPAN>

Will. Thank you for your spectacular documentation of your PM1236 Lathe dials, and here are my results. I think I ordered my PM1236 right after you as I recall your postings and attempted to do a lot modifications you did. I purchased my PM1236 in March 2011.</SPAN>

Would others please verify the accuracy of PM1236 top slide micrometer dial.</SPAN>

I have to use the red scale for imperial measures and black scale for metric.</SPAN>
Other words the little sticker is backwards. I was wondering why I had to keep taking more and more material.</SPAN>

For those who are unable to see pictures I posted the PDF file of all pictures on the server located here:</SPAN>

http://www3.telus.net/oceanready/compounddial.pdf</SPAN>

Cheers,</SPAN>
Radek

</SPAN>
Compound Dial 014t.jpgCompound Dial 015t.jpgCompound Dial 016t.jpgCompound Dial 017t.jpgCompound Dial 018t.jpgCompound Dial 019t.jpgCompound Dial 020t.jpgCompound Dial 021t.jpgCompound Dial 022t.jpgCompound Dial 023t.jpg

Compound Dial 014t.jpg Compound Dial 015t.jpg Compound Dial 016t.jpg Compound Dial 017t.jpg Compound Dial 018t.jpg Compound Dial 019t.jpg Compound Dial 020t.jpg Compound Dial 021t.jpg Compound Dial 022t.jpg Compound Dial 023t.jpg

Did you notice that Will's dials have the colours reversed compared to yours? Look at the divisions spacing. Maybe all you will have to do is remove the dials and repaint in the other colour and reinstall.
Pierre

While on the subject of metric and imperial, would anyone please verify the accuracy of PM1236 top slide micrometer dial.
I have to use the red scale for imperial measures and black scale for metric.
Other words the little sticker is backwards. I was wondering why I had to keep taking more and more material. The imperial scale graduation is actually 0.0008”, if my memory serves me right. See the first photo.
The cross feed dial is correct, black scale is imperial and red scale is metric.
See the second photo.

Cheers,
Radek

View attachment 76551

View attachment 76552

Did you verify with an indicator? Mine is nothing like that but I did notice before I had a DRO that mine are off when in the 50 thou area.

At 10 thou & 100 thou, the cross slide & compound dials are pretty accurate. But at 50 thou they are off about 2 thou. It used to drive me nuts sometimes until I figured out what was going on. After I put the DRO on I don't compensate anymore as I only use the dials now for DOC when roughing or threading. My tail stock is only about a 1/2 thou off at 50. Not sure about metric though, never bothered to check & I almost never use metric, if I do it's on the DRO.

Compound slide at 10 thou
Img_9420.jpg

Img_9424.jpg

Compound slide at 50 thou
Img_9426.jpg

Img_9428.jpg

Compound slide at 100 thou
Img_9430.jpg

Img_9432.jpg

Cross slide at 10 thou
Img_9433.jpg

Img_9437.jpg

IMG_9438.jpg

Cross slide at 50 thou
Img_9444.jpg

Img_9445.jpg

Img_9447.jpg

Cross slide at 100 thou
Img_9459.jpg

Img_9460.jpg

Img_9464.jpg

Tail stock at 10 thou
Img_9471.jpg

Img_9473.jpg

Tail stock at 50 thou
Img_9475.jpg

Img_9477.jpg

Tail stock at 100 thou

Img_9480.jpg

Img_9481.jpg

Thanks Will, for a quick answer and all the photos. Yes, I did check it with a dial gauge way back.
As you, I do not really use metric and if I do as you said is readily available with one button on the DRO.
As I said, all is well except the compound slide dial. Not having a gauge (DRO) there, I am relying on the dial. Yours looks different, for sure. I am going to recheck everything right now and post my findings.

Cheers,
Radek

Moved from other thread

Sorry if you saw the chaos. I was trying to move the posts from the other thread but they move in chronological order so it put them before the first post. Instead of doing it that way I just quoted those posts I wanted to move & inserted them here above.

Last edited:
I think I ordered my PM1236 right after you as I recall your postings and attempted to do a lot modifications you did. I purchased my PM1236 in March 2011.

I purchased my lathe in Nov. 2009. My PM1236 thread here is copied/compiled from it's original thread on a different forum.

Not important but I have yet to run into someone online that has the same exact variation as I do. Mine has quite a few minor variations than all the others before & after.

Did you notice that Will's dials have the colours reversed compared to yours? Look at the divisions spacing. Maybe all you will have to do is remove the dials and repaint in the other colour and reinstall.
Pierre

Good eye Pierre!

Radek, look at the divisons on my dial for imperial, they are smaller than the metric divisions on my dial where yours is the opposite. I suspect what you have is the dial for the metric version of this lathe. Also notice on my dial for metric, there are only 6 divisions before 0.

Thanks for your response Pierre. I do not understand the reverse colour part, but the idea of reversing ring is a clever one. The only difficulty I see with that is that graduation marks would then be on the other side of the index line causing parallax error.

Now that I am used to it and know the error it is manageable, but it drove me crazy before I discovered this error.

Will, now that you pointed it out I see on your picture there is 127 graduations per turn on the metric scale. I can not see the imperial scale but I am summing there is a 100. What ring the bell is that I have a 127 graduation on tailstock scale. I am going to see if they got reversed during assembly providing the diameter is the same (wouldn’t that be something?). I see there is unbroken paint on the tail stock wheel so It had to come this way from the factory.

I am going to check it out and let you know.

Radek

Hey Ratz,

I'd just like to point out that your inch scale (labeled as the metric scale) only has 79 graduations. I suspect that you have the metric screw and dials, but the imperial "sticker".

JayBob, you are correct, metric scale has only 79 graduations. You are also right that screw, dial and sticker are mismatched. I never noticed the 79 graduations. The dial was never right since the beginning and I just put it to the lathe being a low cost machine. Every once in a while I really got messed up. Well now I know why.

<O:p</O:p
Thanks to you all, I now have it all fixed up as I revisited this issue with pictures from Will and all comments provided.
About 2 or so years ago, I decided to try the milling machine attachment 400V by Palmgren for the PM1232. Since the lathe was almost new I did not want to use the existing slide for fear of wearing it out with this heavy attachment.
I called Matt at QMT and asked him if I could purchase a new slide. Matt was very helpful and said he had a complete used compound rest I could buy from him. I told him I did not care what it looked like. Price was OK so I received new compound rest. I was pleased as I could not find anything wrong with it except it had no turning degree scale and no dial index sticker.
I was happy and used this compound exclusively with milling attachment. Although good for small jobs, I quickly outgrew the milling attachment and so it but kept the compound rest portion.
Last night I found this old compound rest and realized it had the same dial scale as one in Will’s pictures.
I dismantled them both, kept the body and dial holder from the original with the stickers but changed guide screw with nut and index ring (I called it scale in the past). Assembled it and checked it with the gauge. I could not be happier. :)) After having to compensate for error over the past 3 years I now have an accurate compound dial.
What is kind of ironic, is that I purchased the part which should have come with the PM1232 in the first place. I am not holding it against Matt, I am just amazed how these machines can be messed up.

Radek

For anyone interested in the pictures of metric (well half metric) and imperial tool compound.

Thank you all for help.
</SPAN>
Radek

Compound Dial Repair 001t.jpg

Compound Dial Repair 002t.jpg

Compound Dial Repair 003t.jpg

Compound Dial Repair 004t.jpg

Compound Dial Repair 001t.jpg Compound Dial Repair 002t.jpg Compound Dial Repair 003t.jpg Compound Dial Repair 004t.jpg

Back