PM1236 wiring question

scattermaster

Registered
Registered
I'm going through the 1236 manual tonight and see this:
"if your nominal voltage is 240v then it may be desirable to alter connections to the 24v transformer..."
What does this mean?
thx,
Jim

It's setup for 220 VAC not 240VAC so you may need to move the wiring for the transformer if your service is higher than 220 VAC

Hope this helps.

Like Kiwi said there is a transformer in the controller that steps down the incoming 220v to 24v that is used for the control relays and safety switches. If your incoming voltage is in the 240v range the stepped down voltage would be over the 24 v needed for the control relays. The transformer has taps on it that you can use to get the needed voltage. I have not looked at mine to see how the taps are labeled but it’s likely connected to a 220v tap with an available 240v tap that you could use if that is your incoming voltage.

I wouldn't think that would be enough difference to cause a problem, most 24v relays can operate from around 22 to about 28 volts or so.
Mark

Last edited:
I wouldn't think that would be enough difference to cause a problem, most relays can operate from around 22 to about 28 volts or so.
Mark
I totally agree

Jim

Seems like a multi meter reading of your electrical service would be an easy way to eliminate any concern about what voltage comes in: a dryer outlet is an easy and relatively safe place to take the measurement.

yeah I just installed a new wall outlet for the lathe on Sunday. It read 245v on my meter.

Another thought: ask Matt at PM why they suggest the change at higher line voltages. It could be a control circuit that is very sensitive, but he will likely know for sure. And if you have not dealt with him before, he is really easy to work with.

I'm sure it'll all make sense after my lathe gets delivered. I think it just left Panama and is on its way to PM, so I still have a while to wait.

yeah I just installed a new wall outlet for the lathe on Sunday. It read 245v on my meter.
245?! Wow. I've been an electrician for a number of years and I've never seen it that high. Around my neck of the woods we have general motors to thank for pushing the voltage down to 220v

Back